Best comic storyline

Sacrosanct

Legend
Inspired by @Whizbang Dustyboots other thread. What is the best storyline from any comic (or crossover, like X-tinction Agenda covering X-Man and Avengers). Funny enough, I've never been a huge fan of Spiderman, but I gotta say my top 2 choices are both Spiderman

My #1: The Kraven storyline. Man, it was super deep for teenage me when it came out.
1693408503458.png

#2 :The Todd McFarlane's Torment series
1693408572597.png

overgeeked

B/X Known World
4. Teen Titans Judas Contract.

3. X-Men Inferno.

2. X-Men Days of Future Past.

1. Chris Claremont’s run on X-Men.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Assuming you're going for excerpts from an ongoing series, I'm tempted to go Season of Mists from Sandman, but you have to follow your heart:

Avengers 164-196 + Avengers Annual 7-9 + Marvel Two-in-One Annual 2 from October 1977 to June 1980 is the greatest run of issues in Marvel's mightiest title.

John Byrne, David Michelinie, George Perez, Jim Shooter, Jim Starlin, and company bring you the Beast, Black Panther, Black Widow, Captain America, Falcon, Hawkeye, Hercules, Iron Man, Jocasta, Moondragon, Ms. Marvel, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Vision, Wasp, Wonder Man, and Yellow Jacket.

It starts with Shooter and Byrne serving up Nefaria and the introduction of Gyrich. Starlin's Thanos! The all-hands-on-deck Ultron story and the legendary Korvac Saga. Michelinie-Byrne awesomeness including the Yesterday Quest. Classic down-time issue 189. Arsenal and some Stark History. The classic government hearing. And the George Perez Taskmaster issues to cap it off!

----

A poll on the Avengers Forever Facebook group a few years back had this top five (with #5 included in my selection above)

#1 Under Siege (1986-1987)
#2 Avengers Forever (1999-2000)
#3-4 Kree/Skrull War (1971-1972)
#3-4 Avengers/JLA (2003-2004)
#5 Korvac Saga (1978)

facebook_1693443573960_7102817156036396508.jpg

Last edited:

For me it was Flash: The Return of Barry Allen. Every one of those books ended in a cliffhanger and I spent the next 30 days going nuts waiting for the next one to come out. I am sure if I read it straight through it would have been much less memorable, but the serialized format meant it dominated my imagination for six months. Every time I think of the "binge watching" format of streaming shows I think back to that Flash storyline and have to believe that something really cool gets lost when we have that sort instant gratification.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Grant Morrison's Batman run through Final Crisis and Batman & Robin is fantastic. That last one in particular is an absolute hoot — Dick and Damian are a fun Dynamic Duo.

It could be nostalgia, but Ron Marz and Ron Lim's run on Silver Surfer leading up to the Infinity Gauntlet is a personal favorite of mine. I also have a ton of affection for Jim Valentino's run on Guardians of the Galaxy at the same time. To be clear, I'm not sure either is great, but they were both a hell of a lot of fun.

Finally, the first three volumes of Matt Fraction's Casanova are damn near perfect.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Oh, if we want to go back a little further, I can't ignore Steve Englehart's Detective Comics run in the 70s, and Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle's work on Detective Comics in the late 80s is awesome, too. From the same era, "Dark Knight, Dark City" by Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer might be my favorite three-issue Batman story of all time.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I’m tempted to say the entire Claremont/Byrne run on the X-Men, but I’ll confine myself to the Dark Phoenix saga. An emotional freight train.

Legion of Superheroes Great Darkness Saga. Excellent buildup, good use of guests like Superboy and Supergirl, all around excellent storytelling.

Avengers Korvac Saga. The final issue has back to back Crowning Moments of Awesome from both Captain America and Wonder Man. You don’t get that very often.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Great Darkness Saga is a high that DC Comics has been unsuccessfully chasing ever since with Darkseid, outside of John Byrne's post-Crisis Action Comics run.

That first reveal of who is behind the Great Darkness? Brilliant. Darkseid had been a chump who flew the Secret Society of Super-Villains around in a flying car in the years before Levitz and Giffen made him scarier than Jack Kirby ever managed to.

That whole Levitz/Giffen LSH era was classic, one that neither of them were able to equal again. (Although the Five Years Later Legion is amaaaazing.)

Last edited:

Remove ads