• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WOTC] Core Rulebooks to be revised?

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Ranger REG said:
As much as I like playing D&D, We will contend with new errata from the Revised 3e. Some people think this is an albeit sad fact. I consider this to be an excuse for the lack of proofreading and editing skill. So once again, I ask that you try to make the new version errata-free.

A delightful idea. Meanwhile, back in the real world, "Errata Free" = "We won't admit to having made mistakes." No product in the history of gaming has ever been totally free of errors, and no product ever will.

I'll settle for "as error-free as possible."

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I don't think they would bother putting "Revised" on the front cover of the book unless at least SOMETHING significant was changed.

Since the information we have now says changing some of the classes will be rebalanced and revisions and additions to spell lists, if that is true alone it makes it somewhat incompatable with previous products without sort of a "Well, THIS NPC bard doesn't have the new power from the revised book because...he's special" or without changing things.

If I remember correctly, they said all sorts of the same things about the revised Star Wars Core Rulebook, that it was completely compatable with previous products, which is only a half-truth.

Yes, all of the NPCs still worked in the new system, they would have the same class names, but different powers and you'd have to give them all the powers they deserved from the new edition.

I don't think that the changes will be QUITE as comprehensive as the Star Wars ones, but will still make some changes to classes, probably only 2 or 3 of them, but those classes will have the same problem as happened in Star Wars.

I will probably get them just because I want to see if the new classes are better or worse than the old ones, and I will likely make due with the fact that I have to convert NPC stats from old adventures and such. If they fix the couple holes in the rules, I'd even like these books. Still, I'm not going to like paying for the books if what is in them is just a recap of all of the errata and questions available online, reprinting a bunch of feats and prestige classes from the splat books, and then a couple changes to the classes that could have been made into a web enhancement.

Majoru Oakheart

gunter uxbridge

First Post
I'm not sure if anyone has brought up the one thing that is really going to tick off some people. If they are changing some of the character classes, then the $30.00 I just shelled out for e-Tools just went down the drain.

Considering the time it is taking WOTC to get out an e-Tools patch, can you imagine the time it will take to patch a e3.1 version of the ENTIRE GAME? I shudder to think of the possibilities.

I stand by my original statement thought. $30 for a new PH. Fine. I'll bite as long as its good. $90 for the PH, MM, and DMG?? Not in this lifetime.

tburdett

Explorer
I'll buy all three unless there is something horribly wrong with them. I'm really hoping that they get the "Modern" treatment.

I'm not sure if anyone has brought up the one thing that is really going to tick off some people. If they are changing some of the character classes, then the $30.00 I just shelled out for e-Tools just went down the drain.

I made my Knowlege: WotC check and avoided buying e-Tools. I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
tburdett said:

And this is really important because... ?

Mainly because it determines skill points and thus dice rolls when determining what a bardic character might or might know how to do.

Nightfall said:
Mainly because it determines skill points and thus dice rolls when determining what a bardic character might or might know how to do.
No, it just means the old-statted character is less able than he should be. So what? Lower his challenger rating if it bothers you that much. That is much easier than rebalancing an NPC's skills.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
If bards do get a bump up to 6 skill points per level, then the net result of this will be as follows: you will have to add two skills at max ranks to each 'old' bard.

That's minor, compared to a change like "bards now have d10 hit dice". ;)

Cheers!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
MerricB said:
If bards do get a bump up to 6 skill points per level, then the net result of this will be as follows: you will have to add two skills at max ranks to each 'old' bard.

That's minor, compared to a change like "bards now have d10 hit dice". ;)

Cheers!

Valid point. But I hope they keep Ranger HD the same. No changes in HD are fine. Changes in spell levels might be annoying (especially when a NPC could cast said spell but can't now because he/she is not a high enough level to cast that spell.)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It will be interesting to see what happens to the Ranger. It does have some issues. :(

There are very few spells that I think will change around - I do feel that the Ranger spell list will get an overhaul, and some of the added material will be new Ranger spells.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads