WotC's Announcement re. the Revised Core Rulebooks

Tom Cashel

First Post
Hey, to all those people who are worried about the revision not being all it's cracked up to be:

Wait for the second printing!

There will be errors, errors, errors in the first printing. I'm an editor, and I'm completely unimpressed by the quality of WotC's books and magazines. They're not as bad as White Wolf, but that's not saying much.

So all you have to do is wait until 2004 for the Revised Ed., 2nd Printing. Then you'll have time to hear the pros and cons, and WotC will have time to get the bugs worked out. If you rush out to buy something you don't really want because you "feel you have to" next June, it's your own fault.

1. WotC is a profit-generating organization.
2. If they don't profit, then they won't produce D&D materials.
3. Stop all the whining.

shadowlight

First Post
Interesting how they keep using the word "targeted" to refer to the changes. It seems like the purpose of this press release was to help calm the fears that this is going to be a major rules rewrite that will make supporting d20 products obsolete... but that's just my take.

Sir Edgar

First Post
I still can't get over the fact that the statement makes two years sound like a whole lot of time. TWO whole years! I'm betting only three months of that was spent actually compiling revision ideas, while the other 21 months was spent waiting for the "right" time. Well, I'm still sticking to they should have waited about five years before releasing a "revised" edition.

I can't wait to see the threads that come out after the books hit the shelves. :rolleyes:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Tom Cashel said:

Wait for the second printing!
Unfortunately, that has been the dogma in this electronic age, where you think a word processor is supposed to catch spelling and to some extent grammatical errors before you put ink to paper.

IMHO, we have been growing lazy since PC have become a household item.

I think what Wizards should do is embrace a paladin-like loftier goal: Strive to publish errata-free products without the need for a corrected second printing.

It may sound impossible, but "impossible" does not figure into my vocabulary.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Actually, when the revised rule books come out, 3rd Edition will have been out for 3 YEARS, NOT 2!!

Lets just all get that straight. :)

I think its great and I for one will be buying the new books.

Dragonblade said:
Actually, when the revised rule books come out, 3rd Edition will have been out for 3 YEARS, NOT 2!!

Lets just all get that straight. :)

I think its great and I for one will be buying the new books.
No, in 3e you drop all fractions (always round down).

3e officially debuted in August of 2000 (at GenCon). So in July of 2003, the 2.96* years it will have been out will officially round down to 2 years.

:p

*and that's just the PHB. Other books came out much, much (hundred of hours!) later!

shadowlight

First Post
Barendd Nobeard said:
No, in 3e you drop all fractions (always round down).

3e officially debuted in August of 2000 (at GenCon). So in July of 2003, the 2.96* years it will have been out will officially round down to 2 years.

:p

*and that's just the PHB. Other books came out much, much (hundred of hours!) later!

rotfl.... rot-fricking-fl

Mithriltooth

First Post
It seems to me, that this is a "Filler" till they get some more creative talents to fill the positions of the departed talent (Monte Cook, Bruce Cordell, Skip Williams etc).
They just might not have enough manpower to design good material to fit a monthly schedule.
It is good to have revised editions, some people may not even know that there are errata PDFs available etc. I also hope they include many clarifications printed in Skip Williams Sage Advice column.

I am dreading spending the extra cash though.

Remove ads