WotC's Announcement re. the Revised Core Rulebooks

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
It's not filler, it's not like they have "RPG Designer Wanted" ads out there.

WotC is carefully controlling their product flow and expenses. THey laid off the designers because they didn't want to be paying salary and benefits packages for them, and would rather create most material on a freelance basis, which is directly attributed to product.

They seem to have gone towards crunchy hardback books.

What I'm curious about is the FALL schedule...

Tom Cashel said:
Hey, to all those people who are worried about the revision not being all it's cracked up to be:

Wait for the second printing!

There will be errors, errors, errors in the first printing. I'm an editor, and I'm completely unimpressed by the quality of WotC's books and magazines. They're not as bad as White Wolf, but that's not saying much.

So all you have to do is wait until 2004 for the Revised Ed., 2nd Printing. Then you'll have time to hear the pros and cons, and WotC will have time to get the bugs worked out. If you rush out to buy something you don't really want because you "feel you have to" next June, it's your own fault.

Decided this as soon as I heard about it. I bought 2 of the original PHB's and the errors have been a thorn in my paw for 2 years. Let the early adopters suck up the error-ridden Revised Edition. I'll use the updated SRD and write in my 3e PHB until the 2nd printing comes out.

And you know, the eratta of the edition 'Revised to fix all the Eratta' is gonna be huge. I think a guy named Murphy passed a law about it........

Olive

Explorer
Roland Delacroix said:
And you know, the eratta of the edition 'Revised to fix all the Eratta' is gonna be huge. I think a guy named Murphy passed a law about it........

i don't know: was the Revised Star Wars book full of errors? cos if it wasn't, then it seems less likely that this one will be.

ced1106

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
I think what Wizards should do is embrace a paladin-like loftier goal: Strive to publish errata-free products without the need for a corrected second printing.

I prefer the more reasonable goal: Put out playable products in a reasonable amount of time (plus stay in business).

Really, is 3e, as it is, all that bad? I've played since the white box, and have to say that 3e is much more playable than its previous editions.

You can wait for the Paladin-perfect Nth-edition of D&D comes out and enjoy playing D&D with your great-grandchildren, but I'd like to play a bit sooner.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

Michael Tree

First Post
Olive said:

i don't know: was the Revised Star Wars book full of errors? cos if it wasn't, then it seems less likely that this one will be.
It had less errors than the first Star Wars and the D&D books, but it still had a number of fairly major errors. However, in all fairness the SW revised edition had many more changes, and more significant changes, than the D&D revised editions will likely have.

theoremtank

First Post
I remember reading through my first printing of the 3rd edition Player's Handbook and discovering quite a number of errors myself that led me to believe very little proof-reading had been done. I also remember seeing all the posts back on Eric Noah's old D&D message board from people who had experienced the same thing I did and were wonding what happend.

What amazes me about WotC is that I know there were quite a few D&D fans (including myself) that would of gladly proof read rough drafts of the players handbook for free, for type-O's and rules inconsistencies.

Now I don't know how feasible such a suggestion is, but perhaps someone else a little more familiar with businesses such as WotC could elaborate on why this suggestion would or would not be a good idea?

Remove ads