• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you allow this paladin in your game? (new fiction added 11/11/08)

Would you allow this paladin character in your game?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Brother MacLaren said:
On the cynicism, think of Angel at the end of that series. Angel never had any hope of a lasting victory over the powers behind Wolfram & Hart, but even without hope he still fought the good fight because it was the right thing to do. And, at the end of the last episode, the implication is that they all go down fighting. Angel tells his comrades this, not to discourage them, but to give them the honest truth and the opportunity to back out - keeping them on board through ingorance would have been the worse crime.

What is a paladin to do in such a world? In Midnight, there is no true chance of lasting victory, but only the hope of holding back the Shadow for another day. Would not a paladin in such a world have this kind of an outlook? Would it not be heroic to keep fighting for good nonetheless?

I think the flippant answer is: Midnight doesn't have paladins. The not-so-flippant answer is that there's a reason Midnight has no paladins. In fact, it's an open question whether we could justify recognizable standards of good in a world that is not believed to be ordered so that good is ascendant. Natural Law theory only yields a recognizable good if the essential tendencies of the world are good. Divine command theory only produces a recognizable version of good if the god doing the commanding is good. Utilitarianism famously produces some rather odd conclusions about what is good if given the proper assumptions. Stoicism maintained that virtue is sufficient for happiness. Aristotle thought that virtue, combined with luck and good circumstances could yield happiness. If vice led to happiness, the logic of both the stoics and Aristotle would actually counsel it as the wise or "right" course. Similarly, Pragmatism doesn't support a recognizable morality if recognizable morality doesn't work.

So, why do we think it's heroic? Fusangite writes, "To me, people who do good things despite fully comprehending their futility, who fight the good fight as skeptics rather than zealots are the most heroic characters. Think of the Norse gods who know how it's all going to end. Think of Aragorn leading that army to what he thought to be certain defeat. That's what heroism is all about for me." I know that something in me resonates with Puddleglum, when, in the Silver Chair, he says that, even if there's no Narnia, he'll be a narnian anyway because the dream is better than the green witch's "reality." I think it's generally because, observing from a distance, we have hope that the right side will eventually win. The Christian martyrs (and Christianity still provides the background for a lot of our cultural tendencies) died, believing that God would be victorious in the end and that he would reward them for their faithfulness. IIRC, the norse expected a new world to be made after Ragnarok, even though they neither they nor their gods would live to see it. Aragorn led his army to the Morannon in the hope that, even though he was likely to die, he could buy Frodo an opportunity to reach Mount Doom and that Frodo would then be able to destroy the ring. In other words, none of these struggles are ever truly hopeless.

In a Midnight campaign that was played as truly hopeless, I suspect that it would take our outside perspective to give the sacrifices and efforts of the heroes (or anti-heroes as the case may be) meaning and justification. From inside such a world, I suspect that philosophy would counsel accomodation and cooperation with Irzador and despair would counsel either Saruman style evil, Denethor style suicide, or Cypher style (to bring the Matrix into this) treachery.

I also like Wild Gazebo's point - game worlds aren't our modern world. This paladin would be great in a game world that has some of the primitive, brutish, and nasty aspects of the Dark Ages or Medieval era, where "Neutral" for a soldier means "Just pillaging, no raping." He wouldn't fit in a cleaner and more pleasant setting with modern ethics. Either type can be fun to play in.

I was going to respond to Wild Gazebo's post but I got distracted, so I'll make the points here. First, it's incorrect to assume that modern ethics is possible because we no longer live in a brutal world. The blood of the people of Darfur, the excavated interrogation rooms of Iraq, the purges, the death camps of Germany, the gulags in Siberia, the re-education camps in Cambodia, the suicide bombers in the middle east, machete wielding gangsters in El-Salvadore, child slavery and prostitution rings, etc. are just as much reality as our nice sanitized office buildings, sterile operating rooms, and children wearing helmets so they can walk down the street safely. To the extent that ethical theories are true, they are as applicable to the anarchy of Somalia, the atrocities in Sudan, and the political prisons of China as they are to insulated and sheltered American suburbanites.

Second, it's incorrect to assume that, because paladins are set in a brutal medieval world, they must have no problem with vice. The paladin does not embody the actuality of such a society with its filth and its dirt. On the contrary, even on the most relativistic interpretation of a paladin, he embodies the society's ideals. The paladin is the Good Man. He doesn't make the little compromises that "everyone" makes. Fusangite writes that his campaign is medieval and that he therefore tends towards violent prudishness in paladin codes. The medieval paladin is less likely to approve of Sir Cedric's behavior than one a paladin operating by distinctively modern ethics.

Finally, a response to some of Fusangite's post is in order:
Fusangite said:
Also, the idea that being virtuous entails adopting the morality of a 19th century American Protestant is just hogwash. There is nothing inherently unlawful or ungood about patronizing prostitutes and drinking alcohol; goodness and evilness only attach to those actions from social context. For goodness sake, God commands Christians to drink alcohol -- in remembrance of Him!

The idea that drunkenness and debauchery is not virtuous is hardly limited to 19th century American Protestants. As far back as the ancient greeks (and before), people had reservations about alcohol. Alcohol was forbidden in Sparta, Plato devotes a sizable portion of his Laws to a discussion of moderation and drinking parties (actually, he is justifying them, but in a context that would exclude the hedonism of Sir Cedric), and the various myths about the Bachhante illustrate that the Greeks were well aware that alcohol could have negative effects and were cautious about the way it could make one lose control. Temperence (moderation) was one of the primary virtues of the ancient world. A man who, like Sir Cedric, does not evince any concern for moderation in his drinking, but rather considers it the perogative of his lofty status would not have been able to bear the mantle of virtue. Later, Dante had some rather unpleasant visions of both fornicators and drunkards. Shakespeare knew that his portrayal of Falstaff, however amusing, was widely identified with a popular (deceased) Lollard knight, and that it was seen as an insult to his memory. This is true to such an extent that he prefaced one of his playes (Henry IV, pt II IIRC) with a disavowal of that connection. Furthermore, he portrayed Henry the V as gaining virtue when he put the debaucheries of his youth with Sir Falstaff behind him. Pretending that concern over drunkenness and debauchery can be dismissed with 19th century American Protestantism is what is hogwash.

The problem isn't that Sir Cedric drinks; it's in his approach to drink. Sir Cedric appears to be more Falstaff than Beowulf in his approach to it.

Finally, the idea that one's internal thoughts can violate a paladin's code presupposes the kind of intention-based morality that Christ introduced in the Sermon on the Mount. Most codes are not about one's internal state; they are about one's actions. I would never write a paladin's code that tried to regulate the character's internal thoughts anyway because character thoughts fall in an uncomfortable liminal region between player and character.

But, as you point out later, the cultural archetype on which the Paladin is based is at least somewhat influenced by Christ's teachings.

Even if that weren't the case, intentions affect actions. The paladin who drinks to forget his despair is going to drink quite different from the paladin who drinks in honor of the victorious dead. It is possible to do the latter in moderation. In the former case, the case of Sir Cedric as I read it, moderation would defeat the entire point of the exercise. A paladin need not be an ascetic, but he can't live as a hedonist. It's his presumed actions, not just his perspective that disqualifies him from paladinhood. (Not that we actually see him getting drunk in the story, but his perspective sounds like that of the despairing hedonist ("Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die") and the story is supposed to introduce us to Sir Cedric so I presume it is not misleading).

The real problem with the paladin depicted here is that he doesn't fit with the cultural archetype upon which the class is based. shilsen, while you have convinced me that one can have a non-celibate paladin, the one you have depicted here is still beyond the pale. He does not resonate with chivalric characters, even those in the Faerie Queen.

And why is it that he doesn't resonate with chivalric characters if it is not for his lack of dedication to personal virtue, intentional debauchery, and despair? It sounds like you're embracing what you just called hogwash.

ivocaliban

First Post
This one's a toughie. On one hand this would-be paladin's vices make him more human. It reminds me of what might happen if your average man on the street was tapped on the shoulder by (a) god and told "you're working for me now." On the other hand, I'd be curious about the player's motivations. What is the reason for wanting to play this character as a paladin? If it has to do with stats and numbers (and I know my players well enough to know when that's the case) then I'd say he's right out. Go with a Cleric and find an appropriate deity. In the end, I voted undecided because I find it hard to judge a character (even a paladin) by a handful of events. I need more from both the character and the player before I'd allow this character as a paladin, however.

EDIT: To be honest, the fiction seems like the sort of thing that happens in roleplaying chatrooms where D&D rules do not generally apply.

Last edited:

fusangite

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
So, why do we think it's heroic? Fusangite writes, "To me, people who do good things despite fully comprehending their futility, who fight the good fight as skeptics rather than zealots are the most heroic characters. Think of the Norse gods who know how it's all going to end. Think of Aragorn leading that army to what he thought to be certain defeat. That's what heroism is all about for me." I know that something in me resonates with Puddleglum, when, in the Silver Chair, he says that, even if there's no Narnia, he'll be a narnian anyway because the dream is better than the green witch's "reality." I think it's generally because, observing from a distance, we have hope that the right side will eventually win. IIRC, the norse expected a new world to be made after Ragnarok, even though they neither they nor their gods would live to see it. Aragorn led his army to the Morannon in the hope that, even though he was likely to die, he could buy Frodo an opportunity to reach Mount Doom and that Frodo would then be able to destroy the ring.

The Christian martyrs (and Christianity still provides the background for a lot of our cultural tendencies) died, believing that God would be victorious in the end and that he would reward them for their faithfulness... In other words, none of these struggles are ever truly hopeless.

O Lord, why hast thou forsaken me?

The point is that certain values are worth dying for, even when hope fails. I agree that hope is a Christian virtue. But one can look at various points in Christian narratives where people's hope fails them but they continue because they cannot do anything other than act rightly; they might regain this hope but hope does fail from time to time.

First, it's incorrect to assume that modern ethics is possible because we no longer live in a brutal world.

No. The reason modern ethics is possible is because we live in a modern world. The reason I'm not interested in playing modern characters thinking modern thought with modern values is because it's boring not because it's impossible.

Fusangite writes that his campaign is medieval and that he therefore tends towards violent prudishness in paladin codes. The medieval paladin is less likely to approve of Sir Cedric's behavior than one a paladin operating by distinctively modern ethics.

Agreed. And it is on this basis that I wouldn't allow shilsen's paladin.

As far back as the ancient greeks (and before), people had reservations about alcohol.

Again, I think you're missing what my argument was. What I was saying was that drinking alcohol was not the problem. The paladin's behaviour was the problem. One can play a grim alcoholic hero with not a shred of hedonism.

Congratulations on making a nice list of examples of problems with drunkenness in the past. Again, I think you're working with internal state rather than action somewhat inappropriately. The problem was people acting drunk -- with some notable exceptions, the problem was comprehended through behaviour not through either the internal state of the individual or the physical properties of alcohol.

And why is it that he doesn't resonate with chivalric characters if it is not for his lack of dedication to personal virtue, intentional debauchery, and despair? It sounds like you're embracing what you just called hogwash.

I called the arguments that were being made hogwash because they were making an argument that sexual continence, sobriety and hope were good/lawful values in a way that transcended culture. My point is that shilsen's paladin doesn't work because the paladin archetype is fixed to a narrow range of cultures, all Christian, all European. So, I was agreeing with your conclusions while disagreeing with your argument.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Brennin Magalus said:
I dispute this.

Care to elaborate? I was under the distinct impression that both the stoics and Aristotle had Eudamonistic theories of ethics and, consequently, what is the right thing to do is what leads to Eudamonia (which is very loosely translated as happiness). If that's right, isn't there the potential for the discovery for traditional vices to become virtue if it is discovered that we've been wrong all along and it's traditional vices that lead to eudamonia?

Hawken

First Post
But one night stands or promiscuity seem non-lawful, if not downright chaotic, to me. Drinking to excess and partying hard would also be chaotic IMO.
What? Where'd you come up with this? How are one night stands and/or promiscuity considered non-lawful? How are drinking to excess and partying chaotic? Of course neither description of alignments allow or disallow for this kind of behavior. One night stands may not have been as commonplace in medieval times as they are today, but promiscuity was everywhere.

In Feudal Japan, for instance, wives were for making babies, but it was the prostitutes that those with the coin went to for fun. And anyone that knows anything about samurai know how lawful they were! They also drank to excess. I'm not saying that all samurai did that, but it was a common enough occurance. Look at any medieval culture and you'll find that lawful societies, and the leaders and the people that embodied those lawful societies not only did those things but either didn't bother hiding it or even encouraged it.

As for partying hard, that was the only way they did it! After Arthur, Lancelot and the others drove the invaders out of Briton, do you think they just "called it a night" and went to bed. Not likely at all! They were probably celebrating for a week or two straight, if not longer! Heh! If I just cleared my country of invaders, you can bet there'd be a celebration until the sun came up and then some! Would that make me any less lawful, honorable, noble, trustworthy, reliable or moral, not a bit! Heck, Arthur even had a promiscuous one night stand with his sister and was still Lawful Good and a paladin. He and the knights of the round table drank as much as they wanted and kept it going as long as they wanted! That didn't make them chaotic. They definitely didn't lose their sense of honor or justice just because they drank and wenched (except maybe Arthur and Lancelot who were busy with Guinevere).

If those things are chaotic acts in your game, that's fine for your game, and maybe fine or not so fine for your players. I could see you wanting to discourage that kind of behavior if your game has some young, impressionable players, but to just throw out a blanket statement like that without considering historical cultural or societal mores in comparison to modern cultures and mores is narrow minded. Life was a lot different back then and what we might consider shocking would be a commonplace occurance then and vice versa. If you want to judge something as lawful or chaotic in the context of D&D, look at it with the viewpoint of that era and culture, not with your own attitudes and beliefs that were developed in a different time and place.

Baron Opal

First Post
shilsen said:
"And you know what's the best thing about that? Everything that I do until that day is meaningless in the greater scheme of things. I can fight, and fight, and fight - until I don't have breath enough in my body to lift a finger, and all the good I do will end after I die. If it even lasts that long."

No. He has succumed to despair. He has lost the fire that inspires hope in others and the interest in following a moral life, however a "moral life" is defined in this campaign. His bedraggled appearance implies a loss of self-respect as well. He is a poor example to his fellow man.

It is difficult to have a lot of variation in paladins as they are a narrowly defined stereotype, rather than the role of a fighter or cleric. For me, it doesn't matter how they "blow off steam" as long as they obey their god's or society's mores.

Baron Opal

PS: Also, I don't feel that a paladin must follow a god. They can be mystical or simply have a superior moral compass. But even so, it is their role to defend and inspire. One that succums to despair, who can not see the value in their efforts, has fallen.

Last edited:

Brennin Magalus

First Post
In Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle wrote:

"...[H]appiness is an activity of soul in accordance with perfect virtue" (Book I ch. 13)

In Lives of the Philosophers VII, Diogenes Laertius wrote:

"[The Stoics] say that only the morally beautiful is good..."

Also, most vices are completely at odds with the Stoic concept of apatheia (sloth would be an exception, I think)

Doctor Shaft

First Post
Just because "Arthur" did it doesn't make it any more lawful. I think the statement that "wild drinking and one-night stands are chaotic" is a firm argument.

Samurai are "generally" lawful. Arthur and his men, though virtuous when they wanted to be, would also occasionally break down and party hard. Just because grandpa did it doesn't make it right, or lawful for that matter in game.

Certainly, a paladin may be subject to his cultures behavioral quirks. If partying hard at the end of a war of invaders is common place, then certainly we can say it wouldn't be entirely detestable that the D&D paladin parties hard with the rest.

However, a paladin really is a "shining example" of a religious soldier. They are the kind that go beyond the call of morality and ethics than even people like Lancelot do. I argue this because a paladin is given the powers directly from their patron deity... they represent that deity's cause! That is very significant. Forget the character for a minute and think of the deity. What deity in its right mind, if it were both lawful and good and held itself to extremely high standards would choose to allow relaxed or completely desperate characters to represent them? Or, if they decided to use him anyway, like many stories and myths also portray, what penalties or difficulties would impose on a character like Cedric? Would you say a deity, like say for instance the FR god Helm would tolerate a fellow watchman constantly relaxiing his self-control and 'puts the watch on' something else like carnal pleasure? Would he never pay no mind to Sir Cedric and simply continue to give him the powers to heal and protect?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
In which case I'm reversing what you see as the emphasis of their contentions--that the fixed point for them is what constituted virtue and they argued that virtue led to happiness rather than starting from the contention that happiness is good and working from there to discover what virtue is. (Or, in the case of Aristotle, he seems to be defining happiness as virtue in your citation).

Am I understanding this correctly?

Brennin Magalus said:
In Nicomachean Ethics, Aristotle wrote:

"...[H]appiness is an activity of soul in accordance with perfect virtue" (Book I ch. 13)

In Lives of the Philosophers VII, Diogenes Laertius wrote:

"[The Stoics] say that only the morally beautiful is good..."

Also, most vices are completely at odds with the Stoic concept of apatheia (sloth would be an exception, I think)

Remove ads