• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoW Newbie - How soon can group different races?

Vocenoctum

First Post
Draenei and Night elf link up easy, and human/dwarf/gnome. It's really just the wetlands with the treacherous road ways. (Though, the little tunnel leaving the gnome/dwarf starting area may pose a risk at 1st level.)

The Draenei area definetly had the best storyline to it, I think.

(I haven't done much horde.)

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Just so you know, there aren't any warlock trainers I'm aware of in night elf lands. At the very least, you're going to want to head back to Khaz Modan or human lands at levels 10 and 20 for your next pet quests.

My recommendation, frankly, would be for each of you to make a second character. My wife and I play together, and playing as a same-race character in the same zones is a lot of fun.
It's working out alright so far with a quick jaunt every handful of levels back to Ironforge or Stormwind for training and supply purchasing (especially for engineering profession). I figure my little gnome engineer/warlock gets tired of the forests every so often and needs to have an occasional shopping trip to the big city. :)

Testament

First Post
I don't know if you're doing the whole RPish thing at all, but seriously, the sooner you get a mage to gate you to Shattrath and set your Hearthstones there, the better. Having easy access to all four capitals from one location is just too damn useful, especially with the otherwise awful connections between the four Alliance capitals.

Sorry, I'm primarily a Hordie, and I really miss having the Zeppelin linking the two continents stopping outside the capitals.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Testament said:
I don't know if you're doing the whole RPish thing at all, but seriously, the sooner you get a mage to gate you to Shattrath and set your Hearthstones there, the better. Having easy access to all four capitals from one location is just too damn useful, especially with the otherwise awful connections between the four Alliance capitals.
It's actually pretty useless to do this as you're leveling up.

The amount of times you need to be able to hop over to a different capital city is very limited during the leveling up process.

In contrast, hearthing out of the bottom of an instance at the end of the night is a more common use of the hearthstone. Having to then use the Shat portal to a capital city and then fly back to the natural home base wherever you're adventuring is a giant waste of time.

People bind twinks in Shattrath because they can, not because it's actually helpful until they're in Outland.

Binding close to the action is what's always made more sense, which is why nearly everyone at level 60 on the Alliance side bound in Ironforge, since it was equidistant between all the major raiding sites.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I'd say binding to Shat is useful once you hit the high 40's. The stupid talk-to's have you going back and forth so much it's obscene. Before that, yeah, one trip here or there doesn't need a Shat-Port.

Also, flying from Darnassus to anywhere else on Kalimdor is just a pain.

Nothing like a griff ride so long you flag as AFK because of it.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Vocenoctum said:
I'd say binding to Shat is useful once you hit the high 40's. The stupid talk-to's have you going back and forth so much it's obscene. Before that, yeah, one trip here or there doesn't need a Shat-Port.

Also, flying from Darnassus to anywhere else on Kalimdor is just a pain.

Nothing like a griff ride so long you flag as AFK because of it.
The new Theramore port should help, but yeah, that's an infamously bad flight path.

I prefer to take a ship to Ratchet and fly from there. (Or use the Gadgetzan teleporter on my engineer.)

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Ironically, the night elf lands were the last Alliance newbie lands created for the original game. But yeah, they don't hold a candle to the draenei newbie storyline.

Something about them having learned from the experience with the other newbie areas, yes.

But, yeah, Teldrassil and Darkshore and Ashenvale are just gloomy and depressing.

The one thing I don't like about the draenei area is it's even more out of the freaking way than Darnassus.

Brad

Remove ads