• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide: How does identifying a spell + Counterspell work?

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
I merged Counterspell into Dispel Magic, with this new description, goodbye to automatic dispels. It works really well in game, and players need to carefully decide if they want to use a higher level slot, since the spell slot has a direct result on the check.

Dispel Magic
3rd level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell can be used in at least two ways:
Dispel Magic: Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. For each spell or effect on the creature, object, or areas, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability score +1 per level of the spell slot expended VS a DC that equals 10 + the spell or effect level + the caster’s spellcasting ability score modifier. On a success, the spell or effect ends. Make a separate check for each magical effect on a creature, object, or areas.

Counterspell: When another spellcaster begins casting a spell, you can attempt a counterspell as a reaction. You must expend a spell slot and then make an ability check using your spellcasting ability score +1 per level of the spell slot expended VS a DC that equals 10 + the spell or effect level + the caster’s spellcasting ability score modifier. On a success, the spell is countered. Counterspell cannot counter magical items or innate creature abilities. Counterspell cannot counter another counterspell.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, your ability check bonus increases (see above).

As a side note, I have Lesser Restoration and Remove Curse working the same way, with any poison, disease, or curse having a level (determined by spell slot or monster HD if a innate ability). The opposed checks with these spells work AWESOMESAUCE, my players love it too. Poisons should still be viable if someone can cast 2nd level spells, same with curses and 3rd level spells.

Remove ads