D&D General You are given the reigns: what do you do?

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to answer the question honestly. So here goes.

If I were given the reins, I wouldn't look backward to older editions and products. I would "pick" 5E. Then I'd hire cultural sensitivity experts and younger brand managers, and work with diverse writers and artists to develop an entirely new product line. The past is in the past for a reason.
This^
The future of D&D is not what I played 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It's not even really how I play today. The next generation of players do not play the way I do. The products that come out in the next 5 years should be aimed at the new younger players. There is already more content of how and what I play for me to keep playing the way I do for several lifetimes. No point in republishing it.

Reynard

Legend
This^
The future of D&D is not what I played 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It's not even really how I play today. The next generation of players do not play the way I do. The products that come out in the next 5 years should be aimed at the new younger players. There is already more content of how and what I play for me to keep playing the way I do for several lifetimes. No point in republishing it.
That is an interesting assessment given the popularity of old school games and simulcra.

But anyway, the question was aimed to inspire folks to simply daydream and be creative, not shut down ideas.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
  • 4e
  • 5 core books:
    • Player's Handbook
    • Dungeon Master's Guide
    • Monster Manual
    • Adventure's Vault Tome of Treasures
    • Manual Atlas of the Planes
  • 16 classes
  • 10-12 races
  • Arcane, Divine, Martial, and Primal classes share powers
  • Some new rules are softened under traditional names
    • Healing Surges are named Hit Dice
    • Powers are called spells, prayers, techniques, and calls
  • BETTER LAYOUT

Vaalingrade

Legend
Pretty much the game I'm working on now: Back for formula with 4e only powers and features come from feats.

And fresh reboot every CS. Not rebuild and try to retrofit modern stuff to the old, ground up, start with core concept and characters, build anew and make it clear that's the plan.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Simplify like a MFer. Think Shadowdark but not as deadly.

Skills and Saves can all be done with stat checks. Does my race/class/background probably know how to do this skill? Then I get to roll.

Restart the DL tv show processes.

Reynard

Legend
Simplify like a MFer. Think Shadowdark but not as deadly.

Skills and Saves can all be done with stat checks.
This iskind of what I am doing with an experimental convention game next weekend. It is a portal fantasy (the PCs are people from our world who go to fantasyland) but the system is essentially Shadowdark retooled for high fantasy instead of dungeon fantasy. I think it will work out well.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh and I've base the core around a new setting.

Kinda like POL which steals from other settings but has a more classic core with new twists. Like there would be mountain dwarves and hill dwarves but volcano dwarves as well.

And classic monsters along with monsters and villains inspired by movies, comics, and anime. Prepare to be TPKed by the D&D version of the Joker. Maybe the first official bardic BBEG.

Remove ads