• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You Bastard! Returns! - Players Needed! [Free In Game Gifts to New Players!]

Phoenix8008

First Post
Rathan and Knight Otu (and any others), what is stopping us from actually starting this for real? If Vertexx69 is interested and perhaps Drowned Hero as well, is there any reason why we can't get this show on the road for real? I'd hate to keep doing playtests and have people who are interested now lose interest because they are waiting for it to get started for real. Or maybe if they would like to fight in a playtest fight as well at the very least instead of just watching you two? What do you folks say Vertexx69 and Drowned Hero? I can judge another playtest fight if nothing else. Unless the others agree that we can jump straight into doing this for real.

And if there are things that need done or discussed before starting this for real, can we make a list of what needs done so we know when we get there? A checklist, if you will. Because so far I've seen no discussion on the rules themselves. Anybody have any other questions or concerns?

Edit: And Drowned Hero: Thanks for the compliment but most of this is just copy and paste from the last version of YB that some of us played and loved from back in 2001. So most of the credit goes to those who came before us. Rathan is responsible for the initial push for resurrecting the game today. I just cleaned up the old rules some and posted them.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
I just had a thought myself. Do we leave Yen distribution total up to the generator? Or could we build in earning 1 Yen per rank or tier or something? Don't know how much influence we want the items to have, but relying on the generator could leave some with yen enough to get good stuff while others are unlucky enough to afford nothing. Just a thought I thought I'd share.

Vertexx69

First Post
I don't see why I couldn't just get started right now as opposed to a playtest. Since the judge determines which move is better, there is literally no learning curve ;p but I do have another question; What if the style we want to specialize in doesn't come up in our fight? I have something kind of specific in mind, but if insect style doesn't drop from the random menu its kind of debunked right out of the gate...

As for the money thing, maybe give every player a potion of greed when they hit the apprentice tier, as a kind of "finding your path gift"? Just so every is assured a little cash? I rolled around a bit on the roll generator and it took over 30 rolls before a move with yen came up, thats not very cool especially with my luck. 30 moves could literally mean I was warrior or even knight before a single yen move dropped. Maybe adding some kind of cumulative percentage chance of like 20% per roll, so that a yen is garaunteed to come up at least every 5 rolls, that resets after it does drop? I don't know how involved that would be to do, as I am failing my C++ class right now :blush:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Vertexx69, as for the generator and changing the percentage chances I'm afraid its not possible currently. The generator and old rules are all on Midknights old website from years ago and none of us have access. I don't even know if it could be duplicated elsewhere without LOTS of work. So changing it isn't an option at this time. This is why I wondered about building a regular Yen gift into the advancement rules. I don't think it would add too much complication to the rules but wanted to see what others thought.

As for starting up a regular fight for you and anyone else, obviously I'm in favor of throwing the switch and getting this going for real but again wanted to at least hear from the other former players if they had anything else in mind that needed discussion before doing so.

As for your style it says in the first paragraph of 'Advancement and Ranks' that when you win your first fight and pick which of the three paths you wish to follow, you get to pick your first signature style or signature location from among any of them. So you could take insect style as long as you became an Honored One or a Pathwalker. Any styles/locations you gain after the first one are picked from the styles/locations that were used during the fight which led to the character gaining the new Tier.

Woops: Just went and looked at the list of sig styles and noticed that there is no Insect style. There is Mantis and Grasshopper style which are both under the insect subheading. So you couldn't take insect itself as a style but could take Mantis or Grasshopper.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rathan and Knight Otu (and any others), what is stopping us from actually starting this for real?

Nothing really, and it's my understanding that Rathan wants this to be a real fight. Then again, I don't see a reason to exclude interested parties from playtest fights if we were inclined to continue them (which doesn't appear to be the case).

Phoenix8008

First Post
Rathan and Knight Otu, your judge has arrived!

I'd be happy to fight Vertexx69 if one of you two would like to judge. Unless there is another interested party to fight instead? Drowned Hero or Shayuri interested in a fight? Or anybody else?

EDIT: I sent a PM to Shayuri and Drowned Hero to offer them the chance to fight Vertexx69 first. If nobody else wants in on it though I'd be happy to take him on.

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
To Start a fight.... basically all that's needed is a challenge thread in 'Playing the Game' something to the effect of

(YB!) _________ Sets forth a Challenge of Battle!

The (YB!) lets people know what game this thread is for and makes it easier for a judge or opponent to see it and answer your challenge or offer there judge services...

Other than that it's a waiting game on an opponent and a judge!

So yea... with even this much interest lets get this started....

As for the yen.... I like the idea so I'll leave some suggestions here... and we'll see what the consensus says..

Option One:

Gain 5 Yen instantly once attaining a new tier...

Option 2:

Gain 2 Yen every other rank... (i.e. Rank 1, 3, and 5)

Option 3:

Gain 1 Yen at each new rank...

You of course would not gain yen for dropping in rank.. but could gain yen if you dropped lets say from Knight 3 to Knight 2.... Then back up to Knight 3 again with a win.... you would still gain a yen....

I wanted to make items rather expensive as I don't want six thousand and three of them out and about at one time.... I want them to be semi rare but I do agree randomness to yen is nice... but having a bit here and there as you advance is more than fair and a VERY good suggestion :)

Vertexx69: As for the style you want... unfortunately it IS random and that's half the fun of game really.. the complete randomness of it... so if you don't get exactly what you want I hope that you aren't discouraged by this and can work something another way with your character concept if you don't get mantis.... I mean your character can still be an insectoid type... that just happened to learn to Lion style martial art or something if you happen to get lion as one of your choices for a sig style etc.... the game is VERY vast and completely what you make of it... so try and make it FUN for yourself and others alike :D

Rathan

First Post
As I proposed it I will not be voting unless there is a tie.... so far we have

Option One: 1 Vote

Option 2: No Votes

Option 3: No Votes

Keep up the votes guys! :D

Remove ads