[ENDED] Contest! Create Your Sci-Fi Character With [WOIN] Future Careers!

Create soldiers, bounty hunters, engineers, doctors, traders, and starship captains in the character creation sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system. With over 60 careers, 7 species, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create erudite Android medics, reckless Human smugglers, mighty Ogron marines, young Venetian star knights, or ambidextrous Felan burglars. Will your character be a scientific genius, an expert with the laser sword, or a daredevil pilot? A notorious assassin, a wily con artist, or a detective in the far future? Only you can decide!

Create soldiers, bounty hunters, engineers, doctors, traders, and starship captains in the character creation sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system. With over 60 careers, 7 species, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create erudite Android medics, reckless Human smugglers, mighty Ogron marines, young Venetian star knights, or ambidextrous Felan burglars. Will your character be a scientific genius, an expert with the laser sword, or a daredevil pilot? A notorious assassin, a wily con artist, or a detective in the far future? Only you can decide!

This contest has now ended.

(This is a BETA VERSION of this book. If you download it, you will gain the final PDF version for free in about 3 weeks. You get the 60-page character creation rules for the WOIN roleplaying game system, plus a short two-page equipment list.)

[h=4]The Contest[/h]
There's a caveat, though. It may be free in price, but if you download it, please take the time to create a character and post it! You can post it in this thread, or grab a character sheet. Recreate your favourite sci-fi hero or character, or a new character of your own.

I'll choose my favourite, and the winner will get a free, full-colour, softcover copy of [WOIN] Future Careers. The contest ends on Sunday 25th October, so you have 5 days!

woin_career.jpg

holmes_slanted.png

Matthan

Explorer
Coupon doesn't appear to be working for me yet.

*edit*
That was rather terse. It looks cool and I'm excited to roll up a character through it.

Wolf118

Explorer
WOIN Character: Urepo Winiata

I don't have access to the character sheet right now, but here is my character:

Name: Urepo Winiata
A brilliant human smuggler who enjoys building model starships

STR: 3
AGI: 7
END: 4
WIL: 4
INT: 2
LOG: 8
CHA: 6
LUC: 9
REP: 4
PSI: 0

Race: Human
Homeworld: Ocean

Skills
Swimming-1
Engineering-2
Nanotech-2
Cryptology-1
Computers-3
Pilot-2
Navigation-1
Pistols-1
Appraisal-1

Exploits
Explorer
White Hat
Bachelor's Degree in Computers
Mr Fixit
Seat of your Pants
Secret Routes
Aim
Analytics

Life Path
Hacker
College
Space Jockey
Smuggler
Smuggler

Trait - Brilliant

Health: 24
Speed: 5
Climb:
Jump: 14'/3'
Carry: 70lbs
Initiative: 1d6
Melee Defense: 11
Ranged Defense: 11
Mental Defense: 11

Starting Money: 360 Cr

Urepo is a Maori-descended colonist on the ocean world of Enoka. Growing up, he worked alongside his uncle on the family's fishing boat, and developed a skill for maintaining and fixing the engines. He also enjoyed manipulating computers and writing his own software. At the age of 12, he won a contest for a full ride scholarship to college, and went on to earn his degree in computer programming with a minor in nanotechnology.

College opened his horizons, and upon graduation, he signed on with a merchant line as a computer systems administrator. Deep space held endless amounts of fascination, and he rapidly developed his own piloting skill. During this time, he found that he could earn a few extra credits by doing 'favors' for people; hiding transactions, forging electronic documents, and erasing unwanted electronic records. As time went on, he made a small name for himself as a smuggler of note, who covered his tracks electronically and whose skill at fooling government inspectors with forged documents was sought after.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's awesome, [MENTION=72051]Wolf118[/MENTION]! Just a couple of quick observations - your DEFENSE scores are incredibly low. It's unlikely that anybody will ever fail to roll 7 on 4d6 or 5d6. Additionally, I wonder if you've been using raw attribute scores rather than the associated dice pools in some places? I make your HEALTH roll to be 7d6, which is 42 max, and 24 average, but your HEALTH is 57. Similarly, I make your SPEED to be 5, not 10.

Wolf118

Explorer
Aha. I forgot the scores translated into dice pools. For Health, I just added the scores directly as d6s. And then for the Defenses, I just listed the score number, not the Dice Pool. I'll go back and edit.

This is my first time with WOIN, so it's a learning curve. It reminds me of Shadowrun somewhat, though, with the dice pools. I was a little disappointed with the stock races. I was hoping to see something more... alien, or humods. Will there be future modules that cover making your own races?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was a little disappointed with the stock races. I was hoping to see something more... alien, or humods. Will there be future modules that cover making your own races?

Yeah. They're fairly basic races, deliberately. A full quarter of the main core rulebook will be devoted to worldbuilding, including creating races, careers, monsters, planets, etc., and that section will also be available separately, just like this character creation section is. That toolkitness is the founding principle of the game, so providing tools for folks to build, customize, etc. is super important.

I also plan to release craploads of races. It's a big universe; there's no limit to the number of alien species. Crystalline, insectoid, reptilian, hologrammatic, transhumans, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I added the form-fillable character sheet to the RPGNow download. There's a second sheet available at woinrpg.com for psionics, equipment and the like.

Remove ads

Remove ads