What is your favorite chromatic dragon?

What is your favorite type of chromatic dragon?

• White - they're cool!

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Black - they're caustic?

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Blue - they're electrifying!

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Green - they're a gas!

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • Red - they're smokin!

Votes: 67 24.2%
  • I prefer a non-standard chromatic dragon

Votes: 23 8.3%
  • Dragon? Ruuuuuuun!

Votes: 19 6.9%

Starglim

Explorer
I have a few favourites, depending on what the setting requires.

Black dragons are the most dangerous to fight, because the PCs must confront them in an alien environment that the dragon can make even more dangerous by digging holes and spreading acid on the water surface. They are also the species that lairs closest to human lands. I'm not a fan of the sheep's horns look though.

Blue dragons seem the most rational and calculating, and work well as cruel masters of desolate and faraway places that the PCs must journey to reach.

White dragons are moderate in strength and more animalistic, making them useful as parts of strange ecologies and interesting social orders, such as tourist hunting lodges.

Reds seem to be the most devoted to evil cults and demonic or devilish masters, and the most likely to be fiendish.

edit: I like the idea of making dragon scales difficult to recognise by colour, using unexpected races in different terrain, and mixing up their breath weapons (or giving all races burning, fuming venom as a breath weapon). A dragon should never be merely one of a breed.

Last edited:

Lancelot

Adventurer
Blue it is. Lawful Evil (my fave alignment), coolest looking D&D minis dragon so far (from the Deathknell set), and they're uncommon enough to maintain a little mystique. The ubiquitous red suffers from over-exposure. It would be more attractive if it didn't appear in twice as much artwork and modules as all the other colors put together, IMO.

Remove ads