Complete Warrior Errata Question

BWP

Explorer
I just acquired a copy of Complete Warrior, and I'm going through the errata from WOTC. I note the following:

Page 58: Master Thrower’s Thrown Weapon Trick (class feature)
The master thrower’s palm throw ability counts as a volley attack, and only one instance of precision-based damage applies to the attack roll.

So ... what is a "volley attack", and what exactly is "precision-based damage"? Neither seem to be any terms specific to the Master Thrower PrC ... so where do they come from? Are they defined elsewhere in CW, because I'm pretty sure that they're not defined in the 3.5 core rules?

(Hoping that I'm not missing something really obvious here ....)

werk

First Post
The only thing I know about volley attack is that you only get sneak attack damage on the first attack.

Couldn't find an entry for volley in the SRD.

Jarrod

First Post
Volley Attack is a term from 3.0, really, though it applies to 3.5 in some situations. Basically, it means "you got more than one attack in a situation where you'd normally only get one", AKA "more than one attack for a standard action". See also Multishot and Scorching Ray.

Precision-based damage means Sneak Attack, or anything else where the target has to be within a certain distance, or the damage only applies under certain situations. Really, Sneak Attack, though it occurs to me that Point Blank Shot might also be considered "precision damage".

End result: you only get SA damage on one of the two projectiles.

Side note: I'm not really that impressed by the CW errata. I don't see the problem with getting SA on both projectiles from the Master Thrower, given that throwing a dagger is kind of... suboptimal.. in the first place. Shuriken are the answer, I guess. And not to get started on the Invisible Blade/feint clarification, but it turned IB from a cool melee-based rogue that gives up the skill-monkey role into something completely skippable.

Egres

First Post
From the RoTG article on Sneak Attacks:

Volley Type Attacks
Sometimes, you make multiple attack rolls as part of the same attack, such as when you use the Manyshot feat. When you do so, only the first attack in the volley can be a sneak attack.

Remove ads