D&D 5E Are some Fighting Styles worthless, and how could they be fixed?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
The hammer of koscitzche (?) is a cool concept though. If it was me, I'd just ask my DM if I could take a custom variant of Repelling Blast that worked with my pact blade instead of my Eldritch Blast.
Yeah. That was the idea. And I was going to be a duergar who can enlarge so was going to use the Kostchtchie miniature i have for when he enlarges…

Maybe I will still do it! But yes, having another route to knock people around would be a possibility too!

ECMO3

Hero
A fighting style and a feat seems to me like a huge investment to be able to use two maneuvers per short rest.

It is a large investment, particularly the feat, but 2 maneuvers per short rest is not chump change. That is one per battle if you are using the recommended pacing and more than that at most tables.

These pair really well on a high-level Arcane Archer IME, especially after sharpshooter and curving shot.

Last edited:

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
It is a large investment, particularly the feat, but 2 maneuvers per short rest is not chump change. That is one per battle if you are using the recommended pacing and more than that at most tables.

These pair really, really well on a high-level Arcane Archer IME, especially after sharpshooter and curving shot.
I think some of these are best used and seen in combinations. Eldritch smite and ?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The main problem with Fighting Styles is that, outside of Champions, it's a one time choice that you have to make early in our career. So people are not incentivized to take something that only comes up some of the time, even if it's very strong in that circumstance. Each character is best served by a Fighting Style that they will use as often as possible.

If every martial got a few of these, you'd likely see the more niche ones taken. If you were allowed to play for a bit to see what circumstances really come up before selecting one, as opposed to having to guess, you might see the more niche ones taken.

If there was a built-in way to swap out Fighting Styles later on down the road, you could imagine seeing more niche ones tried out and used to see which one was the best fit for your character.

The worst part about Fighting Styles is that many of them require you to give up versatility in exchange for a bonus. If you have Archery Style, you're going to try to use ranged weapons as much as possible. If you have Protection, you'll be glued to a shield, even if there are fights when using a two handed weapon is better.

And imagine being the guy with Duelist Style if the first magic weapon you find is a Greatsword, lol. Now you have a core ability of your class just sitting there, unused.*

*Let's not have this comment spiral into a debate about whether or not a DM should or shouldn't funnel appropriate gear to players- I've seen this occur enough over the years to know that many people have their opinions firmly entrenched and aren't going to change their stances. I ask that we all concede that this is a thing that can happen, and Fighting Styles don't account for it.
Tasha's introduced the ability to swap Fighting Styles at every level when an ASI/Feat is granted

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The main problem with Fighting Styles is that, outside of Champions, it's a one time choice that you have to make early in our career. So people are not incentivized to take something that only comes up some of the time, even if it's very strong in that circumstance. Each character is best served by a Fighting Style that they will use as often as possible.
Kinda wished Fighters got 3 FS by default and Paladins and Rangers 2.

That's why it's a houserule when I DM.

Undrave

Legend
Protection is cool conceptually but you still only have 1 Reaction per turn. I think it should simply be expressed as 'Creatures of your choice within 5 feet use your AC value' or something. It would make you a moving zone of protection and incentivise foolishly targetting you at first.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Protection is cool conceptually but you still only have 1 Reaction per turn. I think it should simply be expressed as 'Creatures of your choice within 5 feet use your AC value' or something. It would make you a moving zone of protection and incentivise foolishly targetting you at first.
Which is another whole thing- extra reactions. WotC is super conservative about granting such but armed with extra reactions, the Fighter could be a truly serviceable defender.

Remove ads