[News] AEG to spin off Sypcraft

Psion

Adventurer
This from Ken @ AEG:

We've been holding off a bit on making this announcement until we had a signed contract, but we are closing on a licensing agreement that will turn future Spycraft development over to an business entity headed by Patrick Kapera.

Patrick has always been the heart and soul of Spycraft, supported by members of his development team, so we don't feel the brand could be in better hands.

We know that new RPG material for the very successfully launched Spycraft RPG 2.0 will continue to churn out with regularity, and there is active discussion regarding the continuation of the Spycraft CCG.

We don't suggest that you hunt Patrick down and talk his ear off at this exact moment, since he won't be in a position to answer most of your questions until the contract is signed and the dust settles, but you should know that the future of Spycraft is very bright, indeed.

Thank you all for your past and continuing support!!

Ken Carpenter

Link: http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31198

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
'Spin off' isn't the right turn of phrase here - this is a hand off. It sounds as though the rumors I've heard of AEG getting out of RPGs might be true, as they've just handed production of their second most popular RPG off to another company. :(

Vigilance

Explorer
Id like to wish Patrick and company much success with this game.

I don't think they'll NEED any luck, the game is that good, but I offer my best wishes anyway :)

Chuck

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, I hope it works out. Spycraft was already my favorite version of d20, and they seemed to have improved all the problems I had with it. The only thing really missing are "genre" books, with classes (and perhaps dramatic conflicts) suited for that.

I also hope they put out a fixed version of the OGL for it. Ie, not including Star Wars in Section 15 (even though they had permission from WOTC to use the VP/WP system, that doesn't make the Star Wars RPG open content and should not be in the OGL. And the VP/WP system is now open content released via UA), actually including itself, and generally being more coherent (ie, not listing every other spycraft product in it in one big run on sentence, which AEG didn't have to do, since they owned the IP to begin with, and didn't need to use the OGL to use the open material in those products). So some third parties could put out spycraft stuff.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
trancejeremy said:
I also hope they put out a fixed version of the OGL for it. ... ... So some third parties could put out spycraft stuff.

Yea, as a writer with some ideas for products I'd like to release for SC2, I think that would be nice.

--fje

CarlZog

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
It sounds as though the rumors I've heard of AEG getting out of RPGs might be true, as they've just handed production of their second most popular RPG off to another company. :(

..."second most popular"? What's the first?

Carl

CarlZog said:
..."second most popular"? What's the first?

Carl
Probably the Stargate SG1 RPG .....

I assume jdrakeh meant Legend of the Five Rings, although I don't know if AEG actually publishes information about the relative populrity of its various product lines.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
jdrakeh said:
'Spin off' isn't the right turn of phrase here - this is a hand off. It sounds as though the rumors I've heard of AEG getting out of RPGs might be true, as they've just handed production of their second most popular RPG off to another company. :(

Come on, man, why the :( ?

The game couldn't be in better hands than Patrick's.

Remove ads