Giving Sorcerers Heritage Feats

Kalshane

First Post
I know there's lots of discussions about what to do about Sorcerers to scale them up and make them worth sticking around in past the first level a prestige class is available. In another thread, someone mentioned they gave sorcerers bonus feats at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level that could used for metamagic.

While I like the idea, I was wondering if it would be balanced to give them heritage feats at those levels instead (or give them a choice between taking heritage feats or metamagic feats.)

To take it a step further, maybe change the feats that have character level requirements to Sorcerer level X to increase the uniqueness of a straight-classed Sorcerer.

(Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but I can't afford to spend money for use of the search function right now.)

smootrk

First Post
Seems reasonable. IMO I would prefer to limit them to the heritage feats to play up the inherent magic in the blood aspect of sorcerers, rather than given them access to the metamagic feats - but I am sure others differ.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like the idea of using Heritage/Bloodline feats to make Sorcerers more interesting. I do it myself.

IMC, I cut 1 spell from their progression, but give each one a bonus Bloodline feat (like the ones in DCv1) at 1st level- thus giving them back a spell, but a particular one instead of one for the player to pick later.

That way, its quite clear from the beginning what the source of the Sorcerer's spell power is- demon, devil, celestial or whatever.

Greg K

Legend
Kalshane said:
While I like the idea, I was wondering if it would be balanced to give them heritage feats at those levels instead (or give them a choice between taking heritage feats or metamagic feats.)

I use the metamagic bonus feats at the levels specified. I don't think giving a choice of a metamagic feat or heritage feat would be problem.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I give 'em Metamagic feats at 5, 10, etc., and Eschew Materials at 1st.

Giving them Heritage feats would be fine, IMHO (and IMC).

-- N

Endur

First Post
Actually, Heritage feats are why I wouldn't turn my sorceror into a PRC.

Most PRCs require 1+ feats. If all of my feats are being spent on a heritage, I don't have the extra feats to join a PRC.

Example: 8 Draconic feats in Complete Arcane. Only way to get all 8 feats is
1st human
1st normal
3-18 6 more
no extra feats for joining a PRC

Jack Simth

First Post
It depends a bit on the campaign, but Sorcerers don't need a power boost overly much. Okay, the issue that they don't lose much of anything to a full spell progression PrC could use addressing - but that's more a problem with full spell progression PrC's - but designed well, they're a reasonably well balanced class in the book-expected 4 encounters per day. With one or two encounters per day, the Wizard appears considerably more powerful (he can spell dump with Quicken, without drawbacks later), with ten encounters per day, the Fighter, Rogue, Barbarian, or combat-cleric appear considerably more powerful - but the book expects four (with reason).

You might take a look at the UA (or was it AU?) Generic Spellcaster. It loses a spell per day off his top few levels of spells (for the most part), and doesn't, by default, have a familiar, but it grants a bonus feat at 1st, and at every 5th level (5th, 10th, 15th, 20th). It's also got a selectable skill list and good save .... but that's mostly immaterial.

Necrohazard

First Post
In my game world I have replaced the core sorcerer with the one from The Complete Book of Eldritch Might with just a few changes. With the Eldritch version they get a d6 vs d4, 4 skill points + int vs 2, and the class skills change a little but I further changed it to a selection of Bluff, craft, diplomacy, gather information, intimidate, knowledge (arcana), profession, spell craft, and use magic device. There spell selection is more limited then the core sorcerer and I use the the CB of EM as a guide for that. I let them swap out one spell each sorcerer level gained. They also do not use material components, that is replaced with the rules from CB of EM that have the sorcerer burn small amounts of xp depending on the cost of the materials normally needed. I also have changed it so that at first level the familiar is replaced with a Bloodline Feat, and at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level they gain a Metamagic Feat or a Heritage Feat. Sorcerers can be the masters of Metamagic the prolonged casting time has been removed. Wizards dont gain bonus metamagic they are more focused on the magic creation feats.

Remove ads