Other than d20, what else is OGL?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
amethal said:
That's by far the most readable and interesting SRD I've ever seen :)

I might use it for my upcoming game of Star Munchkin.

Thanks. :) I'd never considered using it with Star Munchkin, but I think you could make it work.

The most important thing about the system is that it works best with a group of four or more. Fewer than that and a lot of the rules involving the cards (and the initiative) don't work as well.

DaveyJones

First Post
Lalato said:
I noticed quite a few people saying that if 4e isn't OGL, they wouldn't buy it... I'm one of the few ENWorlders that is not a DM or RPG Collector so I'm intrigued by this idea. Other than d20, are there any systems that have an OGL component?

Thanks for any info...
--sam

of course, not all of d02 is Open Game Content.

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
Lalato said:
I noticed quite a few people saying that if 4e isn't OGL, they wouldn't buy it... I'm one of the few ENWorlders that is not a DM or RPG Collector so I'm intrigued by this idea. Other than d20, are there any systems that have an OGL component?

Yes. But it doesn't help other games as much as D&D.

One of the main reasons people want D&D to continue to use the OGL is that it creates a market for third-party D&D materials without each of them having to negotiate a separate license. This allows said third-parties to fill in gaps that WotC--for whatever reason--chooses not to.

This works because D&D is the dominant player & so much bigger than everyone else. Creating a product compatible with another company's system isn't attractive to a lot of companies because that's your product encouraging the purchase of a competitor's product.

Creating a product compatible with D&D, however, is attractive because you simply couldn't truly compete at WotC's level. In fact, it lets you ride their coat-tails a bit.

That's the theory, at least.

In reality, the third-party companies that are still leveraging the d20 SRD have moved away from being compatible with D&D. (& likewise away from the d20 license+OGL to just OGL.) Things are looking a lot more like they did before the OGL. Although, my impression may be wrong. I can think of at least a few third-party products that are still essentially D&D add-ons.

I also think a lot of the smaller players are beginning to realize that working together can raise all boats. That while individually the best they can do is ride WotC's coat-tails, together they have a better chance of building something stronger.

I'm totally different. I got tired of games going out-of-print. It's embarrassing to tell new players that they have to go to ebay or a second-hand store to get their own copy of the rules. I got really tired of things like 3.5e following so quickly on the heels of 3e; the revision of Star Wars d20; the first printing of Decipher's LotR; the first printing of the C&C PHB. If it hadn't been for updating the SRD to 3.5, I might have never bought another WotC product.

Remove ads