How to Make D&D Accessible to the Non-Mathematically Inclined?

atomn

Explorer
Pielorinho said:
Everyone may have it in them to learn the rules, and I do find complex rules to be kind of fun myself. But not everyone enjoys complex rules. One of the best roleplayers I've ever known was terrible at math and at tactics, and I basdically had to accept that if I wanted her in my games (and I did), I'd need to adjust the game a bit. She got a lot more advice than the other players, and she got a lot more leeway. I never tried to force her to learn anything: I could have fun without doing so, and it wasn't my job to tell her what she needed to do to have fun.

I've got no problem with someone who doesn't want a discalculiac in their game; that's fine. I just don't like the idea of insulting such folks or implying that they can't be fun to have in a game.

That's true, it all comes down to what will let the player's have more fun. We had a player who always had trouble with the math (figuring modifiers really, not the arithmetic) and constantly looked lost when trying to roll anything with multiple variables. I always thought he just needed to learn the rules better but maybe he would have enjoyed the game more with rules like Particle Man described.

PS: I was just in Brevard last weekend! Beautiful area!

Crothian

First Post
Honestly for people like this I prefer not to play D&D with them. There are game out there that are better for role playing and easier for those that don't want to do the math and book keeping.

Nareau

Explorer
I get pretty frustrated when players can't perform several small additions very quickly, and when they forget to incorporate all their bonuses. But I try to be understanding.

One trick you might want to use: Have the player call out their raw d20 roll as soon as they see it. This works better for low-level play, when the DCs are generally <15, and the bonuses are generally <10. But if the 3rd level fighter is looking to hit AC 15, and the player rolled a 12...it should be a no-brainer for you as a DM to know that's a hit.

Nareau

Imaro

Legend
Crothian said:
Honestly for people like this I prefer not to play D&D with them. There are game out there that are better for role playing and easier for those that don't want to do the math and book keeping.

I can totally get behind this and it is even a valid suggestion, play something rules-light(er)but I guess my little rant :\
was because of the following comments that either brought nothing to the OP's original question or we're just plain insulting for no real reason.

Steel_Wind said:
There is no mathematics in D&D.

Some times, the game calls for some simple arithmetic. But if the player is not capable of low digit addition and subtraction, they need to be somewhere other than gaming.

Like... grade 1, say.

anton1066 said:
If they cannot add simple two digit numbers together......they probably cant role play either.

GlassJaw said:
It's amazing that some people can even function in the world.

I'm with Steel on this one. The only "math" required in D&D is adding. Everyone can add unless you are 3 or have the IQ of melon.

Mallus

Legend
Nareau said:
I get pretty frustrated when players can't perform several small additions very quickly, and when they forget to incorporate all their bonuses. But I try to be understanding.
Patience is a virtue for both DM's and players.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Moderator's Notes

Okay, now we're getting reports about the insults, and the thread is being more about the insults than about the subject matter in the OP [edit--that's not actually true, on review, but still, the insults and discussion thereof are taking up too much of the thread].

Folks, if you want to express some frustration you've had with math-challenged players, that's fine. If you want to express your experience being math-challenged, that's fine, too. If you want to give osme ideas for resolving such a situation, that's fantastic. But I'm going to need to put a kibosh both on comments that show contempt for the math-inept and for comments that discuss such insults.

No harm, no foul, so far, but going forward, let's focus on the thread's topic in a respectful, courteous fashion.

Thanks!
Daniel

Last edited:

Peni Griffin

First Post
If the OP gets any more advice at this stage, he's likely to find himself tripping on it! Since the character's made - the biggest initial hurdle for the numerophobic - and he's got a couple of reasonable options for making it easier on the player, it only remains to run a game and see what, if any, problems actually arise. I predict that they won' t be any worse than the problems other players have in different areas. We're all accustomed to playing with people who wander off topic, chew scenery (mm-mm, scenery!), try to do too many things at once, can't hear properly, don't pay attention, etc. Being intimidated by numbers isn't any worse than, or different in kind from, any of those problems.

3d6

Explorer
I don't think you actually need a reasonable level of competence at math. I am terrible at arithmetic, so I just keep my TI-86 at the table when I'm playing.

Remove ads