[FR] Information on the Clergy of Garagos

eXodus

Explorer
hey there folks.

in the game i am running a new player is adding in a chaotic neutral half-orc cleric of garagos.

aside from the FRCS and the dieties web enhancement is there any published information on this god of war and destruction?

also if anyone has any interesting speculations or ideas about this diety i could pass on to my player.

the god differs a lot with the conventional fr god of war, tempus. in that he is more into the plunder and destruction that war provides. thusly i was thinking a tenet being that the clergy can only own that which is bought from war and conflict. paid for with blood, so to speak.

i would love to hear what you other creative minds might have to offer.

Renshai

First Post
You can find a wealth of information in Powers and Pantheons ( a 2E Product by Eric. L. Boyd). I believe that the Knights of the Shield venerate him as well, so you should be able to glean some information from Cloak and Dagger.

One of the Shadi'ar tribes worships him as their deity IIRC, this information can be found in the Empires of the Shining Sea Boxed Set...

Hope that helps some,
Ren

ericlboyd

Explorer
Garagos is the current form of the old Netherse war god Targus. He was defeated by Tempus (the current god of war, only known member of the long-vanished Talfirc pantheon). Garagos's portfolio has declined from "war" to the savage bloodlust aspect of war. He's the perfect god for a blood-crazed berserker or the semi-civilized, CE barbarian.

In the modern Realms, temples of Garagos can be found hidden in Westgate and in that large Vale west of the Vilhon Reach and north of the Lake of Steam. Additional information can be found in AD&D2 product Powers & Pantheons (which incidentally has a picture of Garagos on the cover). Much of the information therein should be useable in a 3e campaign. If I wanted to create the perfect Garagos champion, I might give him levels of cleric, barbarian, and the prestige class divine champion. Better yet, I might devise a multi-armed template (ala the two-headed template found on the Wizard's website) as a divine "gift" of the god. You can find more on Garagos in the Westgate timeline offered as the Cloak & Dagger web enhancement on the Wizards website.

Hope that helps!

--Eric

PS I actually own the original Powers & Pantheons cover painting, and I have to say it is positively stunning. Todd Lockwood is unbelievable. That said, my wife doesn't exactly want a huge picture of a crazed 10-armed war god striding through a sea of blood in our living room, for reasons I don't quite understand. :)

Renshai

First Post
Hey Eric! Good to see you hanging around here. (You will remember me as Todd Antill from the FR-L).

Hope all is well with you and your wife.

For those of you who don't know, Eric wrote Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, Demihuman Deities, and co-wrote Faiths and Pantheons. (Among various other titles).

Welcome to the EnWorld Forums, hope you enjoy it here!

Cheers,
Todd

NiTessine

Explorer
Renshai said:
I believe that the Knights of the Shield venerate him as well, so you should be able to glean some information from Cloak and Dagger.

Actually, this is not quite correct. That's Gargauth, the LE demigod of betrayal, cruelty and political corruption you're thinking of.

Renshai

First Post
Yeah, I always get those mixed up :) Thanks for calling me on that.. the names are so similar.

Ren
Good to see another Realms Fan about...

NiTessine

Explorer
Renshai said:
Yeah, I always get those mixed up :) Thanks for calling me on that.. the names are so similar.

Ren
Good to see another Realms Fan about...

Yeah, I used to do that, too.

Know a good FR-specific forum? I've been seeking one for a while. WotC forums get a tad bit too uncivil for me at times, nothing ever happens at Candlekeep...

eXodus

Explorer
ericlboyd said:
Garagos is the current form of the old Netherse war god Targus. He was defeated by Tempus (the current god of war, only known member of the long-vanished Talfirc pantheon). Garagos's portfolio has declined from "war" to the savage bloodlust aspect of war. He's the perfect god for a blood-crazed berserker or the semi-civilized, CE barbarian.

In the modern Realms, temples of Garagos can be found hidden in Westgate and in that large Vale west of the Vilhon Reach and north of the Lake of Steam. Additional information can be found in AD&D2 product Powers & Pantheons (which incidentally has a picture of Garagos on the cover). Much of the information therein should be useable in a 3e campaign. If I wanted to create the perfect Garagos champion, I might give him levels of cleric, barbarian, and the prestige class divine champion. Better yet, I might devise a multi-armed template (ala the two-headed template found on the Wizard's website) as a divine "gift" of the god. You can find more on Garagos in the Westgate timeline offered as the Cloak & Dagger web enhancement on the Wizards website.

Hope that helps!

--Eric

PS I actually own the original Powers & Pantheons cover painting, and I have to say it is positively stunning. Todd Lockwood is unbelievable. That said, my wife doesn't exactly want a huge picture of a crazed 10-armed war god striding through a sea of blood in our living room, for reasons I don't quite understand. :)

thank you so much for the information. now i need to root up an old 2e fr book. but it seems to actually be worth it. :)

Enforcer

Explorer
Anything I've seen with Eric's name on it is worth it, in my opinion. I still remember when Faiths & Avatars came out, and I had to revise my rankings of D&D products to include an "excellent" category.

Remove ads