Digital Telivision Conversion: Ready Yet?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Analoge is being switched off region by region this year. Most places it's mid to late 2009 I think.

Quite frankly I'm getting sick of the adverts informing people of the change over.
I know what you mean, but some people just don't get it or procrastinate. Heck, I procrastinated until late December to get my converter boxes and early January to buy and hook up a larger (not largest) rooftop antenna (to replace the tiny VHF-only one my dad installed back in the 70's). For most of us in Hawaii, we'll be seeing more of the PSAs from now until February 17, when the rest of the USA (mainland) make the switch.

nerfherder

Explorer
I haven't had an analogue tuner for 4 or 5 years - ever since I bought a plasma panel (not TV) and Sky+ (digital satellite with twin tuners and HDD).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I know what you mean, but some people just don't get it or procrastinate. Heck, I procrastinated until late December to get my converter boxes and early January to buy and hook up a larger (not largest) rooftop antenna (to replace the tiny VHF-only one my dad installed back in the 70's). For most of us in Hawaii, we'll be seeing more of the PSAs from now until February 17, when the rest of the USA (mainland) make the switch.

Well actually... Thanks to Obama's men, it's been pushed back to June.

I'm willing to bet when June rolls around, Obama's advisers will say that there still are are still millions of people without proper technology, and will then try to push it back till 2010.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well actually... Thanks to Obama's men, it's been pushed back to June.

I'm willing to bet when June rolls around, Obama's advisers will say that there still are are still millions of people without proper technology, and will then try to push it back till 2010.
Then someone at FCC is not doing a good job of promoting it, which will make it worse because they are already in the process of selling "real estate" of frequencies for wireless service providers (both cell phone and broadband). That and frustrating first responders' clear use of emergency communications frequencies.

It's up to each state -- with FCC's permission -- to decide if they want to make the switch before June, with their own state and county governments aiding their public to make the switch, usually town hall meetings and grassroot campaigns (i.e., go door-to-door to homes of senior citizens).

I hear there is or was a legislation to not only foot the bills for converter boxes for but for those who are in need of rooftop antenna replacement to get free OTA digital. I better keep my receipt or get the coupon to buy the biggest antenna I know.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Apparently, despite the senate push-back, many national stations are wanting to still make the switch in February. I guess it's expensive broadcasting more signals than they want to, and any business makes plans to deal with changes this big.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Apparently, despite the senate push-back, many national stations are wanting to still make the switch in February. I guess it's expensive broadcasting more signals than they want to, and any business makes plans to deal with changes this big.
Yeah, many local stations want to shut off their analog transmitters. I just hope they would unite and make a grassroot campaign to get their viewers prepared for the switch.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Who Made the Switch?

It's February 17, or what's left of it, and while the government have postponed the national deadline until June 12, some of the stations went ahead anyway.

So, who made the switch on this day?

Remove ads