A Shaman Retrospective

Dire Bare

Legend
In 2nd Edition, there was an entire supplement titled "Shaman" with three slightly distinct verisons of a Shaman class. I remember really digging it, but never actually played a Shaman from this book, although I did use some of the fluff in my campaign at the time.

I've long since sold all my old D&D books, or I'd dig it out and give more detail.

Nice thread, much like the "D&D Alumni" columns on WotC's site!

In prior editions, the Shaman has always been a confused class with multiple versions . . . . one reason I'm excited about the upcoming Player's Handbook 2 is that 4e gets a solid Shaman class at the beginning of the game and it is unlikely we'll get tons of alternate class versions as we did in OD&D, 2e, and 3e.

Yeah, this was cool, thanks.

I really wish I'd known about the 3.5 shaman way back when.

I frickin loved the concept of the Sha'ir and was always looking for better mechanical executions of its conceptual sweetness.

The 4e shaman actually seems like it could do it very well too. You'd have to drop the 'gathering spells' schtick but as far as I'm concerned the summoning and the familiar were more the thing.

Quartz

Hero
There was a Shaman class published in Dragon. I don't recall many details except that every level or so he had to fight a monster alone to go up a level.

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
I had no idea about the book. I'm going to look for it, though. My DM was just telling me about it after he read this as well. It was one of two odd class books that came out, that weren't part of the usual brown-covered Player's Reference books of the time. The other class book that came out with it was Chronomancer.

With the Dragon Article (I had a feeling there would probably be a few), I have no idea how I'd find it, though. Anyone happen to remember what edition it was plublished during?

Basic and 2E certainly had multiple takes on the shaman, but I really don't think 3E did. Just the 3.0 version which was a hodge-podge of elements, and the 3.5 version, which was reworked with the same extent as the Ranger and some other classes to bring those elements into a consolidated flavor that was the shaman's own.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Weren't "shamans" a kind of monstrous npc spellcaster in the 1E AD&D DMG, along with the witchdoctor? The inspiration for the shaman in the complete book of humanoids?

Last edited:

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
You missed the 2.8 Players Option: Spells & Magic shaman. It was a good one, though I don't recall how it worked very well.

wow.. 2E had shaman iterations coming out of its ears.
lol.gif

Sir Brennen

Legend
I had no idea about the book. I'm going to look for it, though. My DM was just telling me about it after he read this as well. It was one of two odd class books that came out, that weren't part of the usual brown-covered Player's Reference books of the time. The other class book that came out with it was Chronomancer.
Here it is (complete with cover pic: )

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shaman-Ad-Accessory-Kevin-Hassall/dp/0786903260]Amazon.com: Shaman (Ad&D Accessory): Kevin Hassall, Paul Jaquays: Books[/ame]

Remove ads