• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Shaman Retrospective

Voadam

Legend
Do you count the 3e ogl shamans?

Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook

Mongoose's Encyclopedia Divine Shaman

Other World Creation's Shaman (originally presented in Diomin)

UKG Publishing's The Enduring: Witches and Shamans

Everquest RPG PH

Swashbuckling Arcana

Second Party Licensed D&D

Warcraft RPG prestige class shaman

Kingdom of Kalamar Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
Do you count the 3e ogl shamans?

Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook

Mongoose's Encyclopedia Divine Shaman

Other World Creation's Shaman (originally presented in Diomin)

UKG Publishing's The Enduring: Witches and Shamans

Everquest RPG PH

Swashbuckling Arcana

Second Party Licensed D&D

Warcraft RPG prestige class shaman

Kingdom of Kalamar Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands

No. No I didn't. I have my limits. :)

I did go back and update the first post in the thread with the other 2E classes, however, after reading up on them. The Spells & Magic Shaman really IS particularly interesting.

If you want to do a write-up for the third-party materials, by all means go ahead though.

Last edited:

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I had no idea about the book. I'm going to look for it, though. My DM was just telling me about it after he read this as well. It was one of two odd class books that came out, that weren't part of the usual brown-covered Player's Reference books of the time. The other class book that came out with it was Chronomancer.

These were books picked up from the Role Aids series after TSR sued and settled with Mayfair Games. Some other properties were acquired and ocassionally proposed by some TSR staff for further development, but nothing ever came of it.

dystmesis

First Post
If you like shamans so much, you might like playing a ritualist in the game Guild Wars :p

7158-bigthumbnail.jpg

A description: Ritualist - GuildWiki, a Guild Wars wiki.

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
If you like shamans so much, you might like playing a ritualist in the game Guild Wars :p

A description: Ritualist - GuildWiki, a Guild Wars wiki.

browperk.gif

Should I just assume this is yet another of those online "rpgs" that I've downloaded, installed, tried for a day or two, and then uninstalled because they wanted real money for any decent-looking races or clothing, the control interface was awkward at best or often uncontrollable at worst, and any social interaction was utterly absent since instead of talking to anyone, all players you see running around are only interested in walking to that plot of ground over there and killing the same creature over and over again?

No thanks. If I wanted to put on ugly overalls and swing a pick at a rock wall for hours and hours, I'd have been born a dwarf.

(Yes, I've tried enough of these things to have developed a distain....)

If someone wants to point me to one in which people actually interact with eachother, I get some starting cash to purchase mundane gear with, and I can spend my time being a bard in a city without ever having to go hack things for experience... By all means, send it my way please.

The hey-days of the MUSHes is long past, and these graphical things that are a dime a dozen these days are excercises in frustration and dissapointment.

Starbuck_II

First Post
A rather startling oddity with the Spirit Shaman spells, as far as 3E spell-casting went anyway, was that The Spirit Shaman relied on Wisdom for spell access and bonus spells, yet on Charisma for Saving DC power. (They're the only dual-ability-score-powered castors _I_ happened to notice anyway..)

Actually there are a number of dual casters:
1) Spirit Shaman (wis/Cha)
2) Favored Soul (Wis/Cha)
3) Shadowcaster (Int/Cha)
4) Warmage (Cha for spells, but Int bonus to damage)
That is all off top of my head.

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
Actually there are a number of dual casters:
1) Spirit Shaman (wis/Cha)
2) Favored Soul (Wis/Cha)
3) Shadowcaster (Int/Cha)
4) Warmage (Cha for spells, but Int bonus to damage)
That is all off top of my head.

Ah, okay.

Huh.. Favored Soul was even in Complete Divine. That was the Cleric-by-way-of-Sorcerer, right?

Jhaelen

First Post
browperk.gif

Should I just assume this is yet another of those online "rpgs" that I've downloaded, installed, tried for a day or two, and then uninstalled because they wanted real money for any decent-looking races or clothing, the control interface was awkward at best or often uncontrollable at worst, and any social interaction was utterly absent since instead of talking to anyone, all players you see running around are only interested in walking to that plot of ground over there and killing the same creature over and over again?
Actually, no.

It's not a MMORPG. I'd actually compare the gameplay to Diablo2 (in terms of ease and convenience), except the PvE (Player vs. environment) campaigns are much longer, involving about a hundred quests and two dozens missions (more involved 'mega'-quests) and it comes with excellent PvP opportunities.

It neither requires a large investment in time nor in money.

Except for the last supplement (Eye of the North), which I'd avoid, it's grind-free. The maximum level of 20 is reached very early in the game (if you're into PvP you can even start at level 20), equipment is pretty unimportant since there's little variation in stats.

Graphics are excellent and even standard equipment looks attractive.

The only thing you're right about is the social interaction - it's effectively non-present unless you're playing with people you know.

Of course this will not interest you since it's in no way a replacement for pen & paper roleplaying it's just a fun game for people who enjoy playing fun computer games :)

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
Actually, no.

It's not a MMORPG. I'd actually compare the gameplay to Diablo2 (in terms of ease and convenience), except the PvE (Player vs. environment) campaigns are much longer, involving about a hundred quests and two dozens missions (more involved 'mega'-quests) and it comes with excellent PvP opportunities.

It neither requires a large investment in time nor in money.

Except for the last supplement (Eye of the North), which I'd avoid, it's grind-free. The maximum level of 20 is reached very early in the game (if you're into PvP you can even start at level 20), equipment is pretty unimportant since there's little variation in stats.

Graphics are excellent and even standard equipment looks attractive.

The only thing you're right about is the social interaction - it's effectively non-present unless you're playing with people you know.

Of course this will not interest you since it's in no way a replacement for pen & paper roleplaying it's just a fun game for people who enjoy playing fun computer games :)

Ah.. No. No thanks. I don't like level-building videogames. I play consol RPGs like an interactive movie/novel. Cheat to minimize random non-plot combat and not die.

What I'd like is.. Well, an online town or tavern. To hell with anything outside the city walls and I don't want to have to "level" to activate features to play with. Just... have cash and shop.

Remove ads