Monster knowledge handouts

Truename

First Post
I put together some monster knowledge handouts for Scouring of Gates Pass that I thought I'd share. (I didn't do humanoids or animals, so there's just two: the Wisp Solon and the Pseudodragon.)

These are designed to provide three levels of information depending on what knowledge check your PCs get. To construct it, print each handout double-sided, then fold it like a letter along the dashed lines. Use a dot of glue or rubber cement to hold it together. I left some space on the left margin for a three-hole punch.

At the table, break the glue seals according to your players' knowledge roll, and hand it out. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Wisp-Solon.pdf
    132.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Pseudodragon.pdf
    202.8 KB · Views: 394

Truename

First Post
I LOVE the handouts.

Although I don't get how to print and fold them

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! When you print, you should end up with one piece of paper printed on both sides. To do this, you need a duplex printer OR you can simply put the first page back in the paper tray and print again.

Then to fold, let's take the Psuedodragon as an example. This is much easier to do than to describe. There's just two folds.

To get oriented, look at the very bottom of the page--you should see some faint grey numbers at the bottom of each column. Column 1 is the "Lore" column and provides DC 15 information. Column 2 is the "Powers" column and provides DC 20 info. Column 3 is the "Vulnerabilities" column--it combines with column 2 and 4 to provide DC 25 info.

What we want to do is fold the paper so that we can selectively reveal the DC 15, 20 or 25 info depending on what the players roll.

1. First, put the paper on the table in front of you with the dashed lines down. You should be looking at the side with the 2, 3, and 4 on the bottom. Orient it so the numbers are along the bottom edge and the words "Mountain Pseudodragon" are in the upper right corner.

2. Now make the first fold. Hold the left side down and lift up the right edge, curling it up and over to the left so that it covers up column 3. Keep going until you can see the dashed line printed on the other side, and crease the paper along that line.

3. Now you should only see the Powers column, which is column #2. The black-and-white picture should be covered up by the folded paper.

4. Now fold again. Take the right hand edge and fold it, like before, along the second dashed line. This should cover up the Powers stat block and reveal column 1, the Lore column. You're done.

The result should be a tall, narrow piece of folded paper with a strip exposed on the left hand side. (That's for a three-hole punch.) On the front of the paper is the Lore column. That's the DC 15 handout. Unfold it once and you see the Powers column. That's the DC 20 handout. Unfold it again, and you see the whole sheet with the numbers 2, 3, and 4 on the bottom. That's the DC 25 handout.

The idea is that you use a dot of glue to hold the folds closed and then you unfold it at the table according to your players' knowledge roll.

I hope that's clear--like I said, it's a lot harder to describe than to do.

Truename

First Post
The rest of Scouring of Gate Pass

I had some time, so I created the rest of the monster knowledge handouts for Gate Pass. This includes all the non-minion, non-unique monsters in the tactical encounters.

Attachments

• monster-knowledge.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 80

Burchard

First Post
I downloaded the zipped file, but can't open the documents! These don't seem to be pdf like the other ones...any chance I can get the pdf versions?

Truename

First Post
I downloaded the zipped file, but can't open the documents! These don't seem to be pdf like the other ones...any chance I can get the pdf versions?

Oops! Those were the original iWork documents. I've attached the PDFs.

Attachments

• monster-knowledge-pdf.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 94

scrubkai

Explorer
Just wondering....

Do you guys really give your players all that information on a knowlege roll?
I never do, am I being too stingy?

I think per the PHB you get:
Name, Type and Keywords at 15
Powers at 20
Resistances and vulnerabilities at 25.

For example on the Moutain Psudodragon I would give out:
15: Moutain Psudodragon, Beast (Reptile) and the Lore.
20: 15 Info + "You know they have a bite and a Poison Tail Sting. Plus they are highly manuverable in the air, can turn invisible and have been known release poision clouds when they die."
25: 20 Info + No special resistances or vulnerabilities.

That's all the players get. No numbers, no defenses just the basics so they know generally what to expect.

I'm I being too stingy with my info?
Just wondering how everyone else plays this...

GuyPRunkle

Explorer
Scrubkai,

I give out exactly the same info that you do (though my players are fighting some paragon level foes now so the DC's jump by 5). I charge them a minor action to make the check and have them do it on their turn. Judging from the fact that they almost always spend the action to run the check, I suspect that they find it useful anyway . . .

Guy

Remove ads