Worldbuilding class - looking for ideas

Mercurius

Legend
I teach at small private high school and am planning on offering a Worldbuilding class next year for Seniors and maybe Juniors (which I'll probably call World Making). The idea is that it would be an artistic and academic expression of their education, a way to engage holistic thinking and imagination through a variety of lenses, all towards creating a living, imaginary world or community, from an entire new planet or cosmos to a made-up village or commune in our own world.

I'm still ironing out specifics, which is why I'm writing this post. The class will most likely be two days a week, 1 to 1.5 hours per class, for 10 or 11 weeks (we go by a trimester system), which means a total of 20-30ish hours of class time. Each student would create a portfolio, which would include a few elements:

1) A map or diagram, whether two- or three-dimensional (e.g. a painted map, computer map, a papier maiche globe, etc).

2) A document describing the world and its major elements.

3) An artistic piece of the student's choosing that depicts the world and/or a culture within the world. This could be a painting, a sculpture, even a performance piece such as a song, drama skit, animation, a short story, etc.

I am also thinking of condensing the three into two, so that a student could, for example, paint a map and write an expository short story, although I would still want to see the "blueprint" of the world informing the story's exposition.

A unique feature of this class is that it is both art, humanities, and science, depending upon which angle the individual student wants to approach it from. Each student would choose at least two "lenses" or disciplines to focus on, such as geography, mythology, politics, economics, biology, zoology, literature, etc. While the student would come up with a general sketch of the world or community they are creating, they would focus on two or three areas. This would essentially be a guided independent project: I would provide an orienting principle in the class, with discussions and activities that try to inspire them, and they would research and develop the specifics of the world.

I would bring to them examples of worldbuilding in movies, books, and art, and invite the students to bring in their own examples. I would also include rpg-like activities such as Dawn of Worlds.

Suffice it to say, I am very excited about this! Why am I sharing this with you? Aside from simply for the sake of sharing, I'm looking for ideas, especially what sort of territory you think I might need to cover, links, books, etc. I have some resources already, but I wanted to leave it open rather than listing them.

So, given the time frame involved (10-11 weeks) and total hours of class time (20-30 hours), what do you think is the best way to structure and "frame" the work the students would be doing?

SiderisAnon

First Post
I would think at least part of a lecture would be devoted to the creation of virtual worlds on computer; not just game worlds like World of Warcraft, but also complicated virtual environments used for other purposes.

A section on truly alien worlds would be nice too. What if the life isn't based on carbon? What happens when the environment is very different from our Earth?

While your tabletop gamers in your class will probably focus toward a gaming type world, since that's what they've experience before, I'd want to make sure the class covered a variety of world building ideas that stretch beyond that.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
World-Building Resources for Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror Writers
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/World-Building-Science-Fiction-Writing/dp/158297134X]Amazon.com: World Building (Science Fiction Writing) (9781582971346): Stephen Gillett, Ben Bova: Books[/ame]
Amazon.com: The Writer’s Complete Fantasy Reference (9781582970264): Writers Digest: Books (Hey, look, old Dragon cover art)

There are also any number of writing books that address worldbuilding basics.

Heh. As a jumpstart, you could use the old Traveller world-creation rules to sketch out a planet - have a student roll or spin or something for each section) then discuss the ramifications for what you come up with. (OK, we have a world that is half the size of Earth, with a poisonous atmosphere, with 11 billion people ruled by corporations. Go.)

MarauderX

Explorer
I'm not sure how far you want to delve into it, but for my homebrew I ask myself how the world works, lives and breathes: trade, news, gossip, natural events, divine interventions, etc. I also read history about places and things that impress that I want to mimic.

Asmor

First Post
I think one thing to consider might be why the world is being made in the first place.

Ask the students, in a perfect world, what would your goal be for this world? Run a D&D campaign in it? Set a movie or a book in it? Use it to illustrate some political theory?

Just as an example of the impact this can have, a world designed for an RPG campaign should have a very high 'density' of 'adventure locations.' If you were making one for a movie, you'd probably want to put more effort into the visual aeesthetics of the world and in particular the different cultures, whereas a book might put more emphasis on the less visible trappings like language, traditions, etc.

Haltherrion

First Post
It might be interesting early in the course to have the students select an existing, created world and analyze it to get them started. Could be something published or one of the thousands of home-brew worlds available on the net.

The other thing I'd consider is not restricting it to spherical worlds. Having just watched Dragon Hunters and myself having several times used more "shard" based settings and currently using a disc shaped world, you can get very interesting worlds and interesting dynamics with something other than a classic sphere.

Sounds like a great topic; wish I had access to it in the day.

Remove ads