What's Your Relationship With Your Fellow Gamers?

How would you describe your general relationship with other gamers?

• Close: You hang out, you know each other well.

Votes: 133 60.7%
  • Sociable: You enjoy their company at the table, but they're not really a part of your life.

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Strangers: Strictly business, character names only. They're interchangeable.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Unfriendly: You wish you could do better.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Felon

First Post
KarensDad - Just to punt this back to you. Again, you presume to speak for the majority when you say that people game to kibbitz with their friends. One, that presumes that you are playing with friends. That hasn't been true for me in decades. The people I game with are my gaming friends. I only see them at game time and have never really socialized outside of the game with most of these people.

Hussar's post brings to mind something I've come to take for granted as I grow older--namely, that I play with people whose company I enjoy. Friends, I daresay.

Not that it was always that way. As a punk kid, I'd play three times a week with people whom my relationship could best be described as "open contempt". Such gamers were nothing more than warm bodies that filled out a requisite number, and whose presence I begrudgingly paid for with a share of loot and XP.

Which relationship is more common, I wonder? What do you think.

Use your best judgment here. Don't fixate on individual relationships--it's natural to bond with some players more than others--but rather try to sum up how you would define your overall gaming experience.

P.S. Is the Fork Thread option gone?

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, in my face to face game, there are two other guys, one of which I see several days a week at work or socially and the other I would like to, but he lives a bit far away for more contact that in th game, though we call each other and IM a lot. .

In my PBEMs, I know 1 of the 20 or so players personally as he used to live in Japan, but have been gaming with some of the others long enough I consider them friends, though we have never actually met. 10 or so of th others, I don't really know well yet.

Festivus

First Post
I moved to a new area where I really didn't know anyone, so I used D&D as a way to make friends. I have a lot of D&D buddies now... I mean A LOT... mainly because I do the gameday organizing, so I can always find a game. But still, even after 4 years of gaming every two weeks with one group, I only see them at game events. We have had occasional social sojourns but no real go out for a beer at happy hour sort of moments.

Hmm, perhaps I should change that.

Uber Dungeon

First Post
my players consist of former co-worker/friend, former manager, her brother and sister, her friend and his friend. So five people 4 of witch are just gaming buddys and one is good friend.
We brake from D&D sometimes to go hang out at denny's, talk and stuff out side of D&D time. Although we end up remenishing about funny stuff from past games.

Crothian

First Post
The people I game with are friends. We might not see each other much outside of game but that's not because we wouldn't but because we have careers and families and kids. We have done zoo days with all the families, and done mocvie nights and group cook outs though so that the wifes and everyone can meet up and know who is involved.

If I were not friends with them I wouldn't game with them. Being friends really makes the experience all that much better.

Felon

First Post
Should be multiple choice: Some close friends and a few game-only people.
If it were multiple choice, most people would pick every one of them, because most folks have gamed with a buddy, an acquaintance, a stranger, and a putz. Like I said, go with the best general answer. As with most polls, a precise, personalized answer isn't its object.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Some of the players and DMs are my close friends. But often, when starting a new campaign or new periodic games, someone introduce new players. So, more than half of the gaming fellows I play with are classified as "Sociable", I guess.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
As a college student, when I first started up my D&D group, I didn't really know anyone in it; we were a random assortment of people who wanted to play in a D&D game. Over time, I've gotten pretty close with a couple of them. The others, I just see during the game.

And, of course, one or two people are... contemptible.

Remove ads