• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Your Relationship With Your Fellow Gamers?

How would you describe your general relationship with other gamers?

• Close: You hang out, you know each other well.

Votes: 133 60.7%
  • Sociable: You enjoy their company at the table, but they're not really a part of your life.

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Strangers: Strictly business, character names only. They're interchangeable.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Unfriendly: You wish you could do better.

Votes: 2 0.9%

I picked sociable, but we kinda straddle the line between close and sociable.

Gaming brought us together, but we wouldn't stay together just for gaming if we didn't also get along quite well.

Kitesh

First Post
I'm aiming for Sociable or even Close, but as a relatively new player so far the only events I've made it to are Encounters and a weekly LFR event. Both are really fun, and I've enjoyed playing with the people I've met there, but they're still complete strangers.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
One or two in our group are only Sociable (but even then they get invites to, e.g., cookouts at our place), but most of the time we end up Close.

mysticknight232

First Post
We're all pretty good friends in my group. I met most of them in college while hanging out at the local gaming store and getting hooked on magic and then later D&D (i started 2 weeks after 3.0e was released) so it was an easy transition for me.

i've since moved back to my home town and picked up a few new friends through fantasy football leagues and friends of friends that now game with me and my old D&D buddies. I live about an hour away from my college gaming pals, but we still manage to get together on average once a month for nearly 12 hours of D&D on a saturday...although lets face, after eating and drinking and slinging jokes, stories and spells for 8 hours, the final few hours sort of get hazy and we tend to switch to less cerebral games by that point. :D

D&D Friends FTW!!!

Dykstrav

Adventurer
It's really a spectrum, of course... But to pick one and only one option, I'm going for "strangers." I see most of the gaming group for game and only for game. On occasion, we might have lunch or go out drinking or something, but that's pretty uncommon. We share very few interests, if any, outside of gaming. I can't really discuss literature, cooking, or my work with them, and they can't really discuss anime, video games, or their family situations with me. So we play Pathfinder together and leave it at that.

I hesitate to say "sociable" because I don't always enjoy having everyone at my table there, and even so, most everyone does something that gets on my nerves every once in a while. Still, I'm willing to work to see eye-to-eye with people and the serious offenders are asked to leave, so I'm left with a group that ranges from so-so to good.

It's not an ideal group or situation... But when the choice is between decent players that I can game with versus no game whatsoever, I'll take the decent players.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
In general, I game with friends. Some became friends because of gaming, and some were friends before I gamed with them.

In recent years I have joined a couple of gaming groups that were looking for additional players. I didn't end up connecting with them in any way other than through gaming. In the end I found that, while I enjoy gaming, I just don't find the desire to game so strong that I would spend time with people with whom I cannot be friends.

Shoe

Explorer
my old gaming group were my childhood friends, but when i moved halfway across the country my gaming group is a different scenario. I game with a few people who I will occationally socialize with outside of gaming but are mostly gaming friends. Then again, having a family with 3 young kids, most friends become gaming only friends or are even more estranged

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
For me:
In college is was mostly close, since then it's mostly sociable, but close is making a comeback.

So, I'm not sure how to vote.

Mallus

Legend
The people I game with are friends --I wouldn't invite them into my home for if it were otherwise-- even though I don't often see some of them outside of gaming. This owes more to the fact I socialize less these day than to how I feel about them.

Remove ads