Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Really experienced PL 14.
Not necessarily. If they kept 15 PP per PL, a PL 14 is 210 PP. Pretty close to GL's 216.

And they did say that the numbers between 2E and 3E would be almost completely interchangeable.

I'd say that this GL is very experienced ... but that his PL has kept up with his experience, not that he started at PL 14, got a lot of PP, and stayed at PL 14.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I'd say that this GL is very experienced ... but that his PL has kept up with his experience, not that he started at PL 14, got a lot of PP, and stayed at PL 14.
Which is what I was trying to say, though not nearly as well as you did. :)

I did forget to do the math (it was a long day before that post) about how many power points a PL 14 was recommended to start with. So, I missed that he's actually really close to the recommended 210 / PL 14 starting character, though it seems safe to say that he's totally not a starting character. I mean, he's at the second-highest hero PL in the book!

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Which is what I was trying to say, though not nearly as well as you did.
I was just re-reading, and realized you could have meant what I said. Sorry for not catching it earlier and giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I dunno why, but I like GL, even though I normally hate "gimmick" characters. For some reason, the power-ring thing just doesn't bother me ... maybe because it's so reliant on the user's willpower. (I don't like his book, giving up on the latest relaunch a year or two back now.)

I'm not too pleased with the casting of the movie. For years I've been saying that Tahmoh Penikett would be the perfect Green Lantern, so much so that it became a running joke as my buddy and I would watch "BSG" or "Dollhouse" ... "Dude, don't mess with him! He's Green Lantern!"

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I was just re-reading, and realized you could have meant what I said. Sorry for not catching it earlier and giving you the benefit of the doubt.
No harm, no foul.
I dunno why, but I like GL, even though I normally hate "gimmick" characters. For some reason, the power-ring thing just doesn't bother me ... maybe because it's so reliant on the user's willpower. (I don't like his book, giving up on the latest relaunch a year or two back now.)
Hal is a great character. Even with his obscene power, he's never actually bothered me, either.
I'm not too pleased with the casting of the movie. For years I've been saying that Tahmoh Penikett would be the perfect Green Lantern, so much so that it became a running joke as my buddy and I would watch "BSG" or "Dollhouse" ... "Dude, don't mess with him! He's Green Lantern!"
... :eek:
I never would have come up with that one. I can see it, though.

Really experienced PL 14. If you read the previous preview (number 3), it talks about how these characters have a lot more points than a starting character of their PL (Batman, at PL 12, has almost as many points as a starting PL 19 character would).

that is kinda my thought though, 14x15=210... so batman has around 300pp witch is over a 100 over his level, but hal is only at his level...

It's both.
Complication is a game mechanic for specific fluff. It's in 2e, and looks to be the same in 3e.
Those are the Complications of Hal Jordan, Green Lantern. So he gets a Hero Point when his ring is running out of juice and will need to recharge, or when his guilt over the Paralax incident comes up, or when his Reputation as a maverick kicks in, or when he has a moment of self-doubt and he loses some (or all) of his ring's powers.

cool so they did keep it that way, I was worried that might have changed...

Elric

First Post
From M&M's official boards:

dirkgentry2000 said:

For what it's worth, my original post on the hardcover/softcover issue (addressed in the podcast) was here and Jon addressed the issue here.

Elric said:
As I understand it, hardcover versus softcover books cost only slightly different amounts to produce (as opposed to black and white versus color, which is a bigger difference).

If this is true, why is the M&M Hero's Handbook coming out in softcover as a first print run (http://mutantsandmasterminds.com/dc_adventures/2010/06/dc-adventures-design-journal-2.php)?

JonL said:
Hardcover vs. softcover is an interesting thing.

The actual cost per book isn't particularly high, but when that cost gets multiplied out to calculate the retail price, it makes a BIG difference.

The cost of a book has a lot of factors that go into it (writing, graphic design, art, editing, etc.), but the cost of the actual printed object is a pretty small part of what you're paying for. Say, between $2 and $8, depending on color vs. B&W, hardcover vs. softcover, number of pages, type of paper, type of binding, quantity printed, etc.

The final retail price of a book is generally 8 to 10 times the cost to print it. So your typical $40 rulebook (or any book really) probably cost about $4 or $5 to print. The publisher sells it to the distributor for about $20, the distributor sells it to the game stores for $24, and the retailer sells it for $40.

All of these numbers are ballparks, but it gives you a good idea of how something like a simple change from softcover to hardcover, while relatively cheap can add up to a big change in what you pay for it.

I hope you all find this information useful and interesting.

I find this method of pricing strange, as mentioned here.

That using 2d10 instead of 1d20 was considered (and they decided to stick with 1d20) was mentioned in the podcast- if anyone is interested in my simulation results on the topic, they're first, second, and third.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
They posted pdf's pf the Black Avenger for 2e and 3e. Enjoy!

BlackAvenger2e.pdf
BlackAvenger3e.pdf

The author said:
Two things:

I made a mistake (which I notice now, after posting him) -- delete Elusive Target from the M&M3 version.

And yes, I also messed up his attack value. He should be 14 attack and 4 damage, as you pointed out.

Sorry. I'll get a new version posted tomorrow.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
New DD up

DC ADVENTURES: Design Journals Archives

Small news on Powers:

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=12372222&postcount=13 said:
You want...
Sticky Surface: Affliction (hindered & impaired, immobilized & defenseless), Concentration Duration, Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees, Reaction (being touched), Resisted by Strength
It costs 5 points per rank and automatically affects anyone touching you.

... Oh, M&M Second Edition ... sorry, my mind is elsewhere. Well, the stuff other folks have suggested sounds good, too.
wink.gif

New podcasts

http://www.gamershavenpodcast.com/?p=2320

Last edited:

Remove ads