Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

Does anyone have a link to an actual play log or pod/videocast?

I've never played a superhero game, and have a hard time imagining how it doesn't devolve into brokenness and/or ridiculousness.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Superhero games- at least the well-designed ones, run competently- are no more or less likely to devolve into brokenness and/or ridiculousness than any other game with the same caveats.

Poor design or GM control can ruin ANY game.

Mallus

Legend
I've never played a superhero game, and have a hard time imagining how it doesn't devolve into brokenness and/or ridiculousness.
They require a certain degree of cooperation/mutual restraint between the participants to keep things on the playable side of crazy... meaning they're no different from every other role-playing game I'm familiar with.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Of course it's ridiculous, it's superhero. Two characters in my last campaign had an iceberg hurling competition near the Arctic circle. The PCs scaled an infinite tower in Fairyland and fought space nazis on the moon. They were awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for the last one.

Brokenness is quite a problem with 'wide open' systems like M&M and Hero. Much more so than with D&D. It was my first time running M&M and I found I had a tough job making the game work to my satisfaction. The PL system (intended to balance PCs and opposition) is worse than useless imho. Hopefully it will be better in 3e.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I think we properly represented all of J'onn's diverse powers, yes.

Apologies if the Design Journal comments were misleading: Plas is better known as a stretchy shapeshifter, whereas J'onn tends to use his shapeshifting more for disguise, and Grodd filled in the role of villain with mental powers, not to imply that the Martian Manhunter doesn't have any.

Oh, I see, more the shapechange (M&M 2e: Morph) in the Grant Morrisson JLA run, where his abilities didn't changed much with his form and less the dynamic shapechanger (M&M 2e: Shapeshift) in the later JLA issues and in his solo series by Mandrake and Ostrander. If he has only Morph (2e), I hope for a variant sidebar...

The PL system (intended to balance PCs and opposition) is worse than useless imho. Hopefully it will be better in 3e.

I think it is quiet good for standard Powers, like Blast, Armor etc. Not so much for things like Transform and the other more freeform powers.

WayneLigon

Adventurer

How would you imagine it would be broken? Being able to do fantastic things is part and parcel of the genre, though it does require restraint on the part of the players to stick to genre. In other words, just because you can pick up the office building and hit someone with it doesn't mean you should. Of course, that advice applies to pretty much every genre.

The PL system (intended to balance PCs and opposition) is worse than useless imho. Hopefully it will be better in 3e.

Describe? It's hard to imagine how being unable to go past PL for pretty much anything you have to roll for is not balancing.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
My prediction is that it won't, because that's not one of the bigger complaints that have been going on over at the M&M forums, those complaints being what the designers said they were listening to.

I'm curious: what would you expect them to be able to do to make it better?

Doug McCrae

Legend
Describe? It's hard to imagine how being unable to go past PL for pretty much anything you have to roll for is not balancing.
The Limits of PL explains the problem in detail.

The problems I experienced were Autofire and Power Attack, combined with All-Out Attack, invisibility and Master Plan. Together these increase the 'to hit' for a PL 10 character by +13 (assuming +3 from plan and a defence 10 foe so halved defence and +2 to hit from invis), a huge value in a d20 system. Putting five of that 13 into power attack still lets the character hit a defense 10 opponent on a 2 or better. That means autofire will give +5 damage almost half the time, meaning the character was often dealing 20 damage instead of 10.

That same character, a speedster, was able to do slam attacks, which also ignore the PL cap, dealing +10 (his speed value), or +14 depending on one's interpretation of the rules, damage *on top* of all that. It's quite hard for the bad guys to make a toughness save of 49. Even if you don't allow autofire with the slam and interpret the rule as not including the +4, that's still 25 damage, or a toughness save of 40.

I banned slam attacks and eventually realised that I should ban this PC from using All-Out Attack, as he would use Move-By Action to hit his foes then run about 20 miles away, meaning he was unlikely to experience any drawback from A-A A, it was essentially a free +5 to hit for this character. The player wasn't happy with this at all, as we'd been playing for about ten sessions by this point and doing a lot of damage had, in his eyes, become an integral feature of his PC.

This is what I mean by having a tough job making the game work. Dealing with all this took a lot of my GMing time. Going thru the numbers to try to explain to the player, fairly unsuccessfully on my part, that this was a problem, considering solutions, etc.

Incidentally, builds intended to take advantage of Slam - flying cannonball types - with high movement powers, Move-By Action and lots of Immovable to negate slam's weakness, seem to be fairly common from what I've seen.

Another very cheap and effective damage booster is Improved Critical. Nine ranks of this, for a cost of nine points, will make every hit against a defence 10 opponent a critical, increasing damage by +5. This also ignores PL. One could even combine it with the tricks above, though that didn't happen in my game.

Dropping opponents from a great height, achieved with teleport in the game I ran, also ignores PL and has a maximum damage of 20.

This is why I think the PL system is worse than useless, because at first glance it seems to provide balance but once one has greater familiarity with the system it becomes apparent that it doesn't.

What it does do however is make certain types of PC - those that can justify Imp Crit, autofire, PA + AAA, slam builds, etc - *much* more effective than those that can't. In M&M, the Human Torch's nova flame doesn't do a lot of damage, because it doesn't get any of these PL breakers. Even the Hulk only gets Power Attack, making him far feebler than a slam build, and equal to a teleport-dropper. And that's assuming the Hulk goes for a +5 to hit, +15 damage split.

A better way to do it, imo, would be to look at the final damage values the system is outputting, rather than the initial, pre-PL breaker ones. Alternatively, just dispense with PL altogether and look at the final character, taking all abilities, including non-combat, into account and making a judgement call. This is hard to do though. It's very hard to give the players a sense of what power-level you are expecting this way. Also often a PC's power won't be immediately apparent, it can take a few sessions. And by that time the player may have got too attached to his PC as is.

Last edited:

Remove ads