• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

coyote6

Adventurer
Yeah, they're mostly fairly vintage. AFAICT, the newest character listed is Prometheus, and I think he's the only one less than 40 years old. The Nightwing persona is 26 years old, but Grayson's been around since the Golden Age, and the name Nightwing dates from the Silver Age. Oh, and according to Wikipedia, Darkseid debuted in November 1970, so I guess he's just barely less than 40 years old, too. :)

From what I've read, only one author has really done a good job with Prometheus (Morrison, who created him -- I'm guessing this isn't the guy from the '80s Blue Beetle comic). Every other appearance basically sucked. And he's currently dead, and was a major factor in some of the most reviled comics in recent history. So I'll call him a weird choice to include.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Hmm. I was expecting (and would have preferred seeing) Atom and Hawkman in place of Robin and, due to space, Nightwing.
I would rather have seen either of those in place of Nightwing. (Don't get me wrong, Nightwing is probably my favorite DCU character, but you need to have Robin in there -- who is, BTW, now Red Robin, the current Robin being Damian Al Ghul Wayne -- and you don't need both of them.)

Atom would have been particularly nice as an example of Shrinking, which has serious issues in M&M2E.

Can Martian Manhunter turn into anything, the way Plastic Man can? I don't know much about the character, as I've always stuck pretty close to the Bat-books and the Titans on the DC side ... I was shocked to read that he was a founding member of the JLA.

Kafen

First Post
Yeah, they're mostly fairly vintage. AFAICT, the newest character listed is Prometheus, and I think he's the only one less than 40 years old. The Nightwing persona is 26 years old, but Grayson's been around since the Golden Age, and the name Nightwing dates from the Silver Age. Oh, and according to Wikipedia, Darkseid debuted in November 1970, so I guess he's just barely less than 40 years old, too. :)

Hmmm, what was Lex and Batman doing in the 80s?

The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1983 seems to be where Lex first gets his armor with a quick wiki search. I wonder if they are going back to that time period for a starting point on the armors and 'mortals'. It would place Batman below the others with his lack of power armor at the time. Plus, it seems to place Darkseid in the right place on the power scale. The mid 80s is my best guess - it looks like the comic book version of them more than the tv edition.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post

Can Martian Manhunter turn into anything, the way Plastic Man can? I don't know much about the character, as I've always stuck pretty close to the Bat-books and the Titans on the DC side ... I was shocked to read that he was a founding member of the JLA.

His solo series from Ostrander / Mandrake was great.

From wikipedia (including bolding of shapeshift and mental powers by me):

The Martian Manhunter possesses a wide variety of superhuman powers and abilities, which have been shown inconsistently throughout the years.
In the current DC continuity, many of his powers are similar to those of Superman, including super strength, super-speed, flight, invulnerability, super-breath, and "Martian vision" (a term designating both the ability to see through solid objects and the ability to project beams of energy from his eyes). Superman once said of Manhunter, "He is the most powerful being on the face of the earth".[26]
During the 1990s, it was stated that the source of his flight and "Martian vision" is a limited form of telekinesis[volume & issue needed] (he had occasionally[volume & issue needed] demonstrated more traditional uses of telekinesis to levitate and animate objects during his Detective Comics and House of Mystery appearances). His "Martian Vision" energy beams have sometimes been shown to knock foes backwards, which could (theoretically) be due to their telekinetic nature[volume & issue needed]. On most occasions, however, these energy beams are depicted as heating objects rather than delivering a concussive impact.[citation needed]
The Martian Manhunter possesses the power of shapeshifting, which he employs for various effects (adopting human or monstrous appearance, elongating his limbs, growing to immense size, altering the chemical composition of his body, etc.).
J'onn can become intangible, passing harmlessly through solid objects. He can also render himself invisible.
He is a powerful telepath, capable of both perceiving the thoughts of others and of projecting his own thoughts. He often acts as a "switchboard" between minds in order to coordinate the Justice League's actions. The extent of his telepathic abilities is great; several times he has connected his mind to the entire population of Earth[volume & issue needed].
He has demonstrated regenerative abilities, once able to regenerate his entire body from only his severed head but with great strain[27][volume & issue needed] (due to the loss of mass, he found it necessary to incorporate new matter from the Martian sand). Early appearances of the character show him as able to breathe underwater; the last time he displayed this power was when he encountered Zauriel in the sea of San Francisco in JLA #6. The Manhunter has sometimes been said to possess nine senses, but these additional senses are poorly-defined and generally ignored by most writers[citation needed].
Aside from his superhuman powers, the Manhunter is also a skilled and very capable detective. As Batman mentions in his file, "in many ways, Martian Manhunter is like an amalgam of Superman and the Dark Knight himself."[28][clarification needed]

DCU RPG Powers:

Powers:
Longevity 3D, Microwave Projection (eyes) (Martian Vision) 12D, Shapechanging 15D, Superattributes:
Reflexes, Coordination 7D each, Superattributes: Physique 28D. Telepathy 10D, Flight 13D, Invulnerability 10D, Density Manipulation 10D (Limitation: Self Only) ,Light Manipulation (Invisibility)
8D, Matter Manipulation (absorption , dispersion) 5D (Limitation: self Only, linked to Shapechanging), Speed Manipulation (supermobility, superactions) 7D each.
All powers also have the limitation: Vulnerability (fire).

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
And apparently lots and lots of them.

I have to admit to being a little nerd-peeved that the two most powerful superheroes on Earth are both aliens.

Superman's PL 15, but Martian Manhunter is PL 14, while Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are also both PL 15. At least according to the list posted earlier. So two of the top 3 are humans (mostly, kinda).

I can't think of any DC heroes off the top of my head that I'd say were more powerful than Supes, so they should be the top of the heap.

Personally, I'm perplexed by the idea that Black Adam is more powerful than Superman & Capt. Marvel. And as powerful as Darkseid!

Remove ads