• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Superman's PL 15, but Martian Manhunter is PL 14, while Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are also both PL 15.
My nerd-peeve wasn't actually based on the M&M3E PLs. Superman himself we can all agree on, right? And Superman himself says that Martian Manhunter is the most powerful being on Earth.

Thus, the two most powerful superheroes on Earth are aliens.

(BTW, I of course don't know how the DC book will do it, but Taliesin's Superman build is on the assumption that Superman is always holding back. The assumption is arguable, but plausible. There is absolutely no way -- no way -- that Wonder Woman is actually in his sheer power class. 70, 75 percent, tops, and that's just because of what she wears to the office.)

Walking Dad

First Post
Wonder Woman is not human. She is the Spirit of Truth and her body was formed of clay from her 'mother'.
But she got a much better fighting training that Supes and has some fits of rage.

If Black Adam is PL 16 and Supes PL 15, what PL has Superboy Prime???

The Martian Manhunter maybe doesn't hit as high level PL caps as Supes, but he could always can become non sense-able even to Superman's senses and just mindcontrol him...

Yes, Billy Batson is a human kid... or is Freddy Freeman the iconic Capt Marvel?

pawsplay

Hero
I think I can live with a PL 12 Batman, provided he has some kind of Ultimate Skill thingie for his investigation and analytical abilities.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
If Black Adam is PL 16 and Supes PL 15, what PL has Superboy Prime???

Most of the high-end Silver Age-level characters would be unstattable, I think. They'd count as Cosmic Menaces or whatever M&M uses for it's 'assume they can do anything' characters.

I have to admit to being a little nerd-peeved that the two most powerful superheroes on Earth are both aliens.

You, and Lex Luthor...

Hmm. I was expecting (and would have preferred seeing) Atom and Hawkman in place of Robin and, due to space, Nightwing.

At the same time, Atom (Ray Palmer) hasn't had his own book for many, many years and 5-6 years since Hawkman had one. Nightwing only recently went away and Robin is still around; I think we can look for a relaunched Nightwing next year, sometime.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I think I can live with a PL 12 Batman, provided he has some kind of Ultimate Skill thingie for his investigation and analytical abilities.

Well, Bats is PL12, but with the power points of someone who's PL19. And I'm pretty sure he'll have Ultimate Skill in two or three things.

Kenson

First Post
Batman has sufficient Investigation skill and Skill Mastery to routinely accomplish DC 32 checks without his player even rolling the die, and near-impossible ones are not out of his reach.

Walking Dad

First Post
Mr Kenson, could you confirm if the Martian Manhunter have powers similar to the old DC RPG write up, please:

Powers:
Longevity 3D, Microwave Projection (eyes) (Martian Vision) 12D, Shapechanging 15D, Superattributes: Reflexes, Coordination 7D each, Superattributes: Physique 28D. Telepathy 10D, Flight 13D, Invulnerability 10D, Density Manipulation 10D (Limitation: Self Only) ,Light Manipulation (Invisibility) 8D, Matter Manipulation (absorption , dispersion) 5D (Limitation: self Only, linked to Shapechanging), Speed Manipulation (supermobility, superactions) 7D each.
All powers also have the limitation: Vulnerability (fire).
I'm a concerned because the design diary mentioned Plastic Man for his shapechanging and Grodd for not having touched mental powers with the other builds.

Thanks in advance.

Kenson

First Post
I think we properly represented all of J'onn's diverse powers, yes.

Apologies if the Design Journal comments were misleading: Plas is better known as a stretchy shapeshifter, whereas J'onn tends to use his shapeshifting more for disguise, and Grodd filled in the role of villain with mental powers, not to imply that the Martian Manhunter doesn't have any.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
IPlas is better known as a stretchy shapeshifter
Did y'all do Plastic Man's "must remain red and gold" as a Drawback, or as a Flaw? It seems too big to be a Drawback, but not big enough to be a Flaw. That particular "Drawback or Flaw?" question seems to come up a lot in my game, so I'm just curious.

Kenson

First Post
Did y'all do Plastic Man's "must remain red and gold" as a Drawback, or as a Flaw? It seems too big to be a Drawback, but not big enough to be a Flaw. That particular "Drawback or Flaw?" question seems to come up a lot in my game, so I'm just curious.
It is a Limited flaw on his Morph ability, since it does cut down on Morph's disguise capabilities a fair amount (barring a clever monologue about "BRIGHT PRIMARY COLORS!!! SIR, YES, SIR!" as it were).

Remove ads