How come no one is discussing Gamma World?

invokethehojo

First Post
Since Gamma World came out my group has played in on several occasions and loved it. It's a great pickup game to just mess around with, the character creation is wicked fun and that works so well for those nights when people don't show up prepared, and with a small amount of tweaking you can make it more serious themed and steal plotlines from Fallout or Rifts...

yet I never see it mentioned on the threads. Wassup with that?

we were just discussing last night how much we looked forward to playing in a few pickup games at gencon, but that gamma world or savage worlds would be the only games that would really interest us. I know savage worlds will be represented at gencon, but is anyone out there interested in gamma world?

Siberys

Adventurer
There's a lot of discussion on the WotC GW boards, though I suppose that's only natural.

I don't just do pickup games, though. I have a weekly GW game, though I confess I've kept the wacky. I've switched DDE to GWE at my FLGS, because of low turnout for D&D and the fact that I'd gotten several requests from non-rpers to do GW - The GW Game day was really popular in these parts for some reason. It's great, especially since I've set the adventures in the local area.

Coldwyn

First Post
The reason for the silence could be that gamers new to gw or liking 4E bought it and spent their time playing, not posting about it and that old gw fans or people who don´t like 4E stayed away from it on principle, so also don´t talk about it.

Retreater

Legend
I recently posted about my group's first session in the 4E forum here on ENWorld (since GW is based on D&D 4E, I thought that would be the correct forum).

The short of it is that my group loved it. We're even taking a session off our regular Pathfinder campaign to have a second session (a follow-up to a one-shot filler session.)

I got the GW boxed set as a Christmas gift. I've been reading it for a while, but just recently got a chance to run a game.

Overall opinion is that I like the game, but a GM can make it much, much better using principles from D&D - such as skill challenges.

Retreater

Greg K

Legend
I am not discussng it, because I have no interest in this version. I don't like anything that I have read about it from design decisions to packaging to collectible cards.

Stormonu

Legend
I have it, but haven't been able to interest my group to try it; they are very 4E aversive, and I a bit leery of it myself.

Retreater

Legend
I don't like anything that I have read about it from design decisions to packaging to collectible cards.

I don't know what your other issues with GW are, but I didn't find the cards to be an issue. I'm not a WotC fanboy at all, and I would've been the first in line to criticize them if they were trying to turn a tabletop RPG into a collectible card game like Magic.

I found that the cards could be used or not used as the GM saw fit. Or if you wanted to use the cards, they give you a set of 80 that work perfectly fine. If you want the other 120, all of the content is available online for free on the WotC site. In fact, I've printed out the complete booster set and I'm going to be using them in my game without purchasing a single booster pack.

Really, it's a complete game for under $30 (on Amazon). Monsters, tokens, character creation, an adventure, battle mats. Everything except dice.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but I just wanted to let you know that the cards can easily be worked around.

(Also will happily discuss any other issues you might have.)

Retreater

lin_fusan

First Post
I'm not sure if there is a lot to talk about yet. This version of GW uses a stripped down version of the 4th Ed engine, so mechanically, it has less to talk about than 4th Ed. The setting is very bare bones, so there isn't even historical backstory to debate about.

A lot of the discussion on the WotC forums are about adding more rules to cover "missing" parts, such as the high probability that your characters will start off with vehicles, but having no rules for vehicles.

And the fact that WotC touts this as a kind of "pick up" or "throw away" game makes it seem like they see any discussion about the game as a side effect rather than a wanted goal. Kind of like Syfy channel showing "Mansquito" right before "Battlestar Galactica". You can bet there was more discussion about BSG than "random animal + random animal" of the week.

Remove ads