Disarming a bow

Sir Ragnar

First Post
How do the mechanics work when a melee fighter tries to disarm somebody who is wielding a bow? I've seen it done several different ways so far and I'd like to see how others handle it.

Disarm attempts normally require that the combatants make an opposed attack roll, but what modifiers apply? Does the archer use their normal ranged attack modifiers for the bow (including using Dex instead of Str and any feats, like weapon focus, that might apply)? Does the bow count as a "large" weapon? Does the archer get to add +4 for using the bow in 2 hands? If the attempt fails, can the archer immediately attempt a counter disarm per the rules?

Disarming normally provokes an AoO, can the archer make one with his bare hand (assuming he's holding the bow in one hand and has the other one free)? Could he attempt to trip the attacker to prevent him from disarming the bow as his attack of opportunity?

Along the same line, how does sunder work against a ranged weapon?

Here is the text for disarm from the SRD for reference:
Disarm(4) [Varies][AoO: Yes]

Description: The combatant and an adjacent target make opposed attack rolls with the their respective weapons. If the weapons are different sizes, the opponent with the larger weapon gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the target is using a weapon in two hands, he gets an additional +4 bonus. If the combatant beats the target, the target is disarmed. ... If the combatant fails, then the target may make an attempt to disarm the combatant as an immediate, free action.

If this has been discussed before, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sir Ragnar

incognito

First Post
I'll give this a shot.

You would use your BAB, and STR to resist the disarm. The only feat I can see applying in the bow's user's defense is weapon focus: [bow subtype] bow.

All bows require two hands to use when firing, and small characters cannot use a long bow, but there is no rule against holding a large weapon in one hand, I tend to think most characters choose to hold thier bow in one hand when not firing (to be able to get potions and such).

->Savvy characters will switch to two hands, if they keep ahold of the bow after the first disarm attempt

Weapon size: Small bows are medium sized, long bows are large

Since bows are improvised melee weapon, they get a -4 penalty to this attack roll.

So: BAB+STR+/-Size difference-4(improvised weapon)

Sir Ragnar

First Post
Thank you both for the replies.

LokiDR,
I've been following that thread, and it's been pretty helpful. The sundering question seems to have been answered by the FAQ (use rules for striking an object being held, not sunder).

Incognito,
I agree with you about using BAB and your Str modifier. I also like the "improvised weapon" idea, it makes a lot of sense. I'll most likely be using (or suggesting the use of) that equation for the attack roll next time it comes up. Unfortunately that's bad for me since I'm playing the archer and my Dex is much higher than my Str and I'd rather not take a -4 for an improvised weapon ;)

thanks again,
Sir Ragnar

Conaill

First Post
From the FAQ:
Striking a foe's [ranged] weapon is often less troublesome, and if you break it, you won't need to worry about ranged attacks. Normally you need to make an opposed attack roll to strike a foe's weapon or shield, but if the item you're striking is not a melee weapon or a shield, just use the rules for striking a held, carried, or worn object (pages 135 and 136 in the Player's Handbook). Again, you'd normally trigger an attack of opportunity for striking the foe's equipment, but a foe armed with a ranged weapon doesn't threaten you.

This can be a very effective tactic against opponents armed with bows. A longbow, composite longbow, or heavy crossbow has an Armor Class of 14 (base 10, R1 for size, +5 for being a held object) plus the wielder's Dexterity bonus and whatever deflection bonus the wielder might have, which makes it a fairly easy target. A shortbow, short composite bow, light crossbow, or repeating crossbow has an Armor Class of 15, which is same as a longbow, but they have no size adjustment because these weapons are Medium-size. Bows have hardness 5 and 2 hit points (just like spears), crossbows are tougher (hardness 10, 5 hit points). If you have multiple attacks, it's usually best to aim your attacks with the highest attack bonuses at the opponent and save your later attacks with lower attack bonuses for the weapon. Often, you'll have difficulty hitting the opponent with these attacks, but you'll find the weapon an easier target.

Remove ads