D&D General BG3 Honor Mode Tips And Tricks.

Zardnaar

Legend
You can bring Glut and Bulette for that fight if you Long Rest at the top of the tower with both in your party. Provided you collected all the sussur flowers and place them on the floor next to the extra enemies before starting, the only thing you have to fight is the boss. Also the boss's Legendary Action will chain to and damage the extra enemies, so have a ranged character stand next to one and shoot the boss at the top of the round if you want to reduce your time spent a bit.

If you want, there is also an interaction between the Bulette's knockdown effect and a Cleric's Command:Halt spell. If the boss failed the save on Command, it can't get up again after Bulette knocks it prone. I don't remember what my WIS was at, but my Command:Halt had a 75% success rate on that boss. It is also very good for the Owlbear(s).

You can also start with Command: Drop and then steal the boss's weapon off the floor to remove it from consideration.

Various ways to do it. Normally just go with lightning resistance and beat them down.

It's one of those fights tgat can go pear shaped. Life ckeric with healing gear also makes it easy.

OB1

Jedi Master
1st HM playthrough? Arcane Tiwer xen ve rough at least the boss.
Well, technically 2nd, I got TPKd looking for Withers at level 2, but was only a few hours in and was overconfident.

Yeah, that AT boss was tough on Tactician, I may skip him as I don't recall the loot being all that good. Do want to do the basement though. Honestly, I'll probably take on the Mountain Pass next, and only go back to the Tower or Spider if I'm not level 6 before heading to Act II.

Thought of another tip - Keep sessions to under 5 hours. All it takes is one mistake to end the run, so you want your mind fresh when you play.

And, as other's mention, tactical retreats at the start of fights (especially unexpected ones), either to set up favorable terrain for yourself or to get at least on party member to saftey, is critical. Already saved me from 3 TPKs so far this run. Twice I retreated with the full intention of getting out, then turned around and won once I found a more advantageous spot.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, technically 2nd, I got TPKd looking for Withers at level 2, but was only a few hours in and was overconfident.

Yeah, that AT boss was tough on Tactician, I may skip him as I don't recall the loot being all that good. Do want to do the basement though. Honestly, I'll probably take on the Mountain Pass next, and only go back to the Tower or Spider if I'm not level 6 before heading to Act II.

Thought of another tip - Keep sessions to under 5 hours. All it takes is one mistake to end the run, so you want your mind fresh when you play.

And, as other's mention, tactical retreats at the start of fights (especially unexpected ones), either to set up favorable terrain for yourself or to get at least on party member to saftey, is critical. Already saved me from 3 TPKs so far this run. Twice I retreated with the full intention of getting out, then turned around and won once I found a more advantageous spot.

Yup. I rated do the tactical retreat but on some fights eg Grym having 1 character hang back can be very useful.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
Yup. I rated do the tactical retreat but on sone fights eg Grym having 1 character hang back can be very useful.
For Grym I used the one down, 3 above technique. Technically cheese, though with how much I use a single scout in the playthru, I can just justify it as in character play. IE, that looks incredibly dangerous, Asterion, go check it out, we'll stay back here :)

Edited to add

And that's what I mean about thinking about it as tabletop play (decidedly with one heck of a killer DM), the more you get into the mindset of playing an AD&D module, the better off you'll be in HM.

Remove ads