Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
I agree Reflection shouldn't be easily entered, but it'd be strange if only Kamerel could get in. Let's drop the word "unique" and talk about how difficult it is to get there in an underbar on the plane.

Well it needs to be at least very obscure or difficult to enter to explain why no-one's followed them or even knows where they went to.

If you do want non-kamerel to be able to enter or scry the Plane of Reflection, I suppose we could say it requires an epic-level DC skill check using, say, Knowledge (the planes) or Spellcraft (maybe with the latter requiring the spellcaster to have seen Reflection or a kamerel entering/leaving it?

I suppose you're right about the library. The problem with this adventure, like many other old ones, is that it's hard to tell the intent of the author, but I agree that there should be some distinction.

Yes, although in the case of Reflection I don't think the plane was supposed to feature in the adventure, its description seems more like background flavour to the Kamerel.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, I'll agree to an absurd Know (the planes) check just to know Reflection exists.

Back to
Pass Into Reflection (Su): Kamerel have a unique ability to enter the Plane of Reflection, a “pseudo-dimension” made up of reflected images. To Pass Into Reflection, a kamerel must spend at least a minute contemplating itself in a mirror that is large enough to reflect the kamerel’s entire body. The kamerel then simply steps into the mirror and vanishes (this requires a move action, so the kamerel must be within its move distance of the mirror).

Only kamerel and mirrorwork items can Pass Into Reflection, any other creature or object they try to carry Into Reflection will fall to the ground when the kamerel vanishes.

A kamerel can exit the Plane of Reflection by using the same procedure to step out of a mirror from the "other side". It need not be the same mirror as the kamerel used to enter Reflection.

I'd be happy to allow anything the kamerel carries to enter reflection, instead of inventing a new type of item.

Is there a reason this should take a minute? Plane shift is only a standard action.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I'll agree to an absurd Know (the planes) check just to know Reflection exists.

That's agreeable.

I'd be happy to allow anything the kamerel carries to enter reflection, instead of inventing a new type of item.

I would like the Kamerel to be unable to carry living creatures into Reflection with them using their Pass Into Reflection ability (with the possible exception of other Kamerel).

That means they'd need a Kamerel spellcaster with plane shift or the like to "abduct" a creature into Reflection/

Is there a reason this should take a minute? Plane shift is only a standard action.

It was basically to prevent the ability to be usable in combat. The Kamerel in the adventure don't go "popping" in and out of Reflection to attack intruders with hit-and-run tactics like, say, a Phase Spider.

We could make it a 1/day standard action ability instead, which would tackle that problem by making it an "attack from Reflection but can't retreat" or "flee into Reflection but not come back until tomorrow" power.

freyar

How about we just use text like in teleport?
SRD said:
You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent (see below) per three caster levels
We can modify that if we like, of course.

Standard action sounds good to me, and I'd also be ok with something like 1/day or 3/day.

Cleon

Legend
How about we just use text like in teleport?

We can modify that if we like, of course.

Yes, making it willing subject only fixes many of the problematic factors. Besides, considering how xenophobic they are, maybe they just don't want strangers to enter "their" dimension?

Standard action sounds good to me, and I'd also be ok with something like 1/day or 3/day.

I like 1/day or maybe even 1/week. The original adventure makes no mention of the possibility of the Kamerel retreating into Reflection if the PCs defeat them, so it might not be an easy thing for them.

freyar

What about this?

Pass Into Reflection (Su): Kamerel have a unique ability to enter the Plane of Reflection, a “pseudo-dimension” made up of reflected images, once per day. To Pass Into Reflection, a kamerel must spend a standard action contemplating itself in a mirror that is large enough to reflect the kamerel’s entire body. The kamerel then simply steps into the mirror and vanishes (this requires a move action, so the kamerel must be within its move distance of the mirror).

A kamerel can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. A kamerel may also carry one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per X HD into Reflection.

A kamerel can exit the Plane of Reflection by using the same procedure to step out of a mirror from the "other side". It need not be the same mirror as the kamerel used to enter Reflection.

I've just noticed the working draft doesn't have any HD, etc. Should we sort some of that out?

Cleon

Legend
What about this?

Pass Into Reflection (Su): Kamerel have a unique ability to enter the Plane of Reflection, a “pseudo-dimension” made up of reflected images, once per day. To Pass Into Reflection, a kamerel must spend a standard action contemplating itself in a mirror that is large enough to reflect the kamerel’s entire body. The kamerel then simply steps into the mirror and vanishes (this requires a move action, so the kamerel must be within its move distance of the mirror).

A kamerel can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. A kamerel may also carry one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per X HD into Reflection.

That'll do. Maybe one creature per 6 HD, so a Kamerel needs to have the experience level of a Driver to carry another creature over?

I've just noticed the working draft doesn't have any HD, etc. Should we sort some of that out?

Going by the original monster, they use character class levels instead of racial HD.

freyar

One extra critter per 6HD is fine for me.

So what character levels are we working with in the current Working Draft?

Cleon

Legend
One extra critter per 6HD is fine for me.

So what character levels are we working with in the current Working Draft?

The original adventure had 3rd level Fighters for the standard warriors, 6th level Fighters and Wizards for the NCO-equivalent Drivers, and a 10th level Wizard for a leader.

I've only statted the fighty-types for the Homebrew, since I had not finished the Cleon Special version of Mirror Magic for them.

I guess it makes most sense to stat a 3rd level Warrior as the "basic Kamerel", since that's what most of the combatants in the original adventure are.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases