Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We should probably do the working drafts the same way we'll put them in the CC. I guess I'd go for separate ones, but I don't remember if you had the kamerel in a bunch of 10 all together.

Cleon

Legend
We should probably do the working drafts the same way we'll put them in the CC. I guess I'd go for separate ones, but I don't remember if you had the kamerel in a bunch of 10 all together.

Separate entries it is then.

None of the Infinite Staircase monsters are in any of my working batches-of-ten lists.

freyar

OK, that's settled, separate it is. We should add links, of course.

How about Listen and Spot for the skills? Those are always helpful.

I didn't see much (or anything really) in the adventure text you posted about tactics, but I have this feeling you posted more from that adventure somewhere that I'm not remembering. Perhaps ambush tactics? In any case, I'd expect the common warriors to obey their drivers pretty well.

Cleon

Legend
OK, that's settled, separate it is. We should add links, of course.

But of course! :cool:

How about Listen and Spot for the skills? Those are always helpful.

Helpful sure, but not on the Warrior class's skill list.

I didn't see much (or anything really) in the adventure text you posted about tactics, but I have this feeling you posted more from that adventure somewhere that I'm not remembering. Perhaps ambush tactics? In any case, I'd expect the common warriors to obey their drivers pretty well.

IIRC I sent you an email with a big wodge of text concerning the Kamerel.

Basically, they like to be tricky. The suggested encounters in Tales from The Infinite Staircase included things like abducting a PC using a mirror gateway and mob-piling them, summoning monsters to sic on the party, destroying all the exits from an extradimensional space to trap the party, and so on.

So ambush tactics seem fine.

So how about Handle Animal and Intimidate for the skills?

Their trick of using summoned monsters suggests they might also use trained animals against there foes. Their xenophobia might result in their warriors trying to frighten away intruders as well as or instead of trying to kill them.

freyar

Urgh, I always forget that the Warrior has such awful class skills. I'm not too fond of Handle Animal for them, since you don't really need that for summoned animals. And I don't know that they'd want to interact enough with "aliens" to Intimidate them. What about Jump and Climb?

Maybe we can use the same or similar tactics for many of the kamerel entries.

Tactics: Kamerel attack from ambush, sometimes through mirrors, to surprise their foes. They work in concert, flanking and mobbing their enemies, with the support of summoned creatures. Due to their xenophobic paranoia, kamerel ask for and give no quarter to non-kamerel opponents.

Cleon

Legend
Urgh, I always forget that the Warrior has such awful class skills. I'm not too fond of Handle Animal for them, since you don't really need that for summoned animals. And I don't know that they'd want to interact enough with "aliens" to Intimidate them. What about Jump and Climb?

Jump and Climb will do I guess, although their mediocre Strength won't help.

The max ranks in both will help, though.

Maybe we can use the same or similar tactics for many of the kamerel entries.

Tactics: Kamerel attack from ambush, sometimes through mirrors, to surprise their foes. They work in concert, flanking and mobbing their enemies, with the support of summoned creatures. Due to their xenophobic paranoia, kamerel ask for and give no quarter to non-kamerel opponents.

That looks pretty good, although the "attack from ambush ... to surprise their foes" is a bit tautological, since that's what an ambush is for. Also, I'd prefer them to "often" use mirrors, since they crop up so much in their tactics in the adventure.

How about:

Kamerel attack from ambush, often using mirrors to surprise their foes. They work in concert, flanking and mobbing their enemies, with the support of summoned creatures. Due to their xenophobic paranoia, kamerel ask for and give no quarter to non-kamerel opponents.

Remove ads