D&D 5E D&D Unboxing Starter Set Video is on Youtube

Talath

Explorer
An hour to unbox that? That seems a little on the long side. Hearing gamer talk for over five minutes is usually like torture. :p

I suppose it depends on how much you care about the speaker and what they are speaking about.

Me listening to Mearls about 5e D&D before release = hours of attention

Random guy at game store talk about how he doesn't allow gnomes in his home campaign because xyz reasons = no attention

SigmaOne

First Post
I suppose it depends on how much you care about the speaker and what they are speaking about.

Me listening to Mearls about 5e D&D before release = hours of attention

Random guy at game store talk about how he doesn't allow gnomes in his home campaign because xyz reasons = no attention

I'm very much with you here. If people have interesting things to say, I can listen. But prima donna posturing or complaining, I have little patience for. I don't care much about what other people think the right way to roleplay is. I'm still trying to figure out how to read these forums effectively while efficiently bypassing the back-and-forth where people are constantly accusing each other of impugning their honor and integrity... ...boring... If anyone has tips on that, I'd love to hear them.

SigmaOne

First Post
There is a lot of good discussion in the video about how Rich Baker provided a lot of opportunities for non-violent roleplaying, including a sidebar with info on how to deal with a scenario where the PCs try to trick the denizens. Sounds like a lot of good stuff for new players.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
~ 45 minutes in, we get 5e's first "bag of rats" moment:

Folks mention you can use Second Wind over and over again to heal all your HP.

Mearls notes that since you need a short rest to regain it, this becomes kind of inefficient (if you can take that many short rests, you can basically heal up to full anyway), but is totally something that 5e is comfy with letting you do if you want. There's guidelines for wandering monsters in the Starter Set, and a WP/VP system present in the DMG (take damage, and your max HP goes down).

It's a "bag of rats" moment because it's a little rules technicality that most DMs will probably deal with effectively, but that is something that is RAW-OK.

Weird that everyone seems kind of hostile to the idea of using it like this -- instantly kind of thinking of ways to tamp down on it or ways that it's not "really" effective, but it does not seem like an issue to me to have a fighter burn their Second Wind to help heal their HP before or after a rest.

Sounds like there's no real codified cost to resting, just DM judgement calls, which is a little unfortunate....

There's a bit of a philosophical insight into how having a monster that the characters aren't likely to be able to beat in there changes the feel of the game. Really nice.

And apparently Nothics are considered iconic, essential creatures now? Bah! ;)

Last edited:

The Hitcher

Explorer
Great stuff. The adventure sounds great - I love the emphasis on allowing non-combat approaches. This could be my favourite edition of the game based on that alone (even if there weren't a hundred other good reasons).

And I really love the way Mearls explains that they're going to allow people who want to be boring rules exploiters to be boring to their heart's content. Burn!

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
It's a "bag of rats" moment because it's a little rules technicality that most DMs will probably deal with effectively, but that is something that is RAW-OK.
I don't really think it is. The problem with the "bag of rats" was that it was using a rule technicality to do more damage. It was an abuse that needed to be stamped out to prevent low level PCs from using it to kill extremely high level monsters.

This let's you recover your full hitpoints if you rest for 3 hours(2 hours on average to roll your full hitpoints and then another hour so that you have your second wind back again to use in combat) instead of 6 hours for a long rest. It seems kind of pointless with clerics and your hit dice to use first.

Remove ads