D&D 5E D&D Unboxing Starter Set Video is on Youtube

MartyW

Explorer
Some newbie DND / wannabe DM questions:

1. Would you recommend playing with the one set of dice that is included or is it more fun / faster if everyone can roll at the same time?

2. Should you use a DM screen? Perhaps use the top of the box in this case, buy one or make one yourself to add some mystery, hide your book & dice rolls, etc.

3. I would consider using the Starter miniatures even if it's only to show relative positions.
What's the most easy way to use a map considering I'm not that good at drawing.
- Copy the map from the book (but perhaps that has numbers / notes on it?)
- Draw as they go along anyway
- Draw nothing and use objects to show relative positions
- etc.

Most of your questions come down to personal taste, but I'll attempt to offer some advice.

1) Some players are funny/superstitious about "their dice" and have an OCD thing about other people using them. If you have a group of mostly new players, you won't need to worry about that because they won't have been exposed to this before and won't have any preconceived notions about dice sharing. A set of dice for the GM and a set of dice for the players to share is a good start. If there are veteran players, better to let them hoard their own dice. Eventually, even your novice players may want their own set.

2) There are two very different philosophies on this one. There are times when information needs to be hidden from the players, and a DM screen does this well. However, it does create a kind of wall (not just physical, but psychological) between the GM and the players. I prefer to not have a GM screen in front of me, but I often have a small TV tray table to my left or right (which is often lower than a typical dining table we're playing on) so I can still have a small private area for notes, minis and hidden rolls, without putting a barrier between me and my players. If I don't have a TV table available, I will keep a box nearby (such as the cardboard starter set box) and put up the lid in an upright position only when absolutely necessary. To me, the game feels less adversarial when there is no barrier... but again, that is a personal choice.

3) This is another interesting one to answer.

When a party enters a dungeon, old school GMs will make someone in the party draw maps on graph paper by description only (although sometimes they will prompt corrections due to the person not being able to "see" what is there). For some, this adds to immersion because if they don't keep an accurate map, they can actually get lost. Modern dungeon design isn't quite as sprawling as the old school maps though, so in a modern game, this is less of an issue. There are far fewer wrong turns and dead-end passages, so most GMs will hand wave the need for a dungeon map and only draw a room if there needs to be an illustration of the position of objects or foes in the room.

If you are interested in using minis for a 1 inch = 5 feet representation of the battle, there are several products that allow you to quickly sketch a room. Paizo has its flip mats (both blank ones and ones with pre-drawn features) and other companies like Chessex have mats in various sizes that allow wet erase markers.

There is also Gaming Paper (gamingpaper.com) which has wrapping paper-like rolls of 1 inch grids. These are pretty cool because you can roll out and cut a swatch to size as needed. The rolls are relatively inexpensive, but shipping is a bit much if you are not buying in bulk. If you are not using minis at all, any pad of graph paper would be useful for quickly drawing rough sketches.

Don't worry about your drawing skills. Any sketches can just be rough approximation of details and positions. If you are going to copy any maps out of the book (that aren't already numbered), I'd leave off numbering details if possible. You want the players to pick their own direction and not be lead by a "Hey look... there's a number over there in the woods. We should check that out." You want to limit them from using meta-game knowledge to guide their PCs actions.

Last edited:

Nemio

First Post
Thanks for the answers everyone, very helpful :)

To clarify, I'll be introducing family members (and myself) to D&D so the dice sharing won't be such a problem I think. I think everyone having their own dice might be most fun but I'm a little hesitant buying them for all of them right away since they might end up not liking the game (hope not!)

For that same reason I'm not sure if I should buy the Starter miniatures and extra monsters.
Though it works both ways. I think they will like the game more if they get some visual goodies (or baddies :)) to watch which could increase the chance of them wanting to continue playing.

For that same reason I'm hoping that you can use the maps from the DM guide.
I think I read somewhere that Wotc provided note-free (no numbers, monsters/trap locations) maps online for previous adventures.
Am I correct and is it likely that they will do this for the Starter Set too?

MartyW

Explorer

To clarify, I'll be introducing family members (and myself) to D&D so the dice sharing won't be such a problem I think. I think everyone having their own dice might be most fun but I'm a little hesitant buying them for all of them right away since they might end up not liking the game (hope not!)

For that same reason I'm not sure if I should buy the Starter miniatures and extra monsters.
Though it works both ways. I think they will like the game more if they get some visual goodies (or baddies :)) to watch which could increase the chance of them wanting to continue playing.

For that same reason I'm hoping that you can use the maps from the DM guide.
I think I read somewhere that Wotc provided note-free (no numbers, monsters/trap locations) maps online for previous adventures.
Am I correct and is it likely that they will do this for the Starter Set too?

1) I agree. Skip buying more than 1 set of extra dice. Dice are actually somewhat expensive for the good ones, so save your money and just have 1 set for the players to share.

2) The Wiz Kids miniatures that are coming out may not match the encounters in the Starter Set. Depending upon when you plan on running the game, you can get the Starter Set and then comb Ebay for some of the out of print miniatures (or Pathfinder minis) that match the encounters in the Starter... but if you plan on running the game right away after release, you may not have time to get the right minis.

There are a lot of cardboard token sets that are usually for sale from some of the 4e supplements. While they are not quite as visually appealing as minis, they are much cheaper (about $5 for a token sheet, vs $2 - $5 for a single miniature) and you can get a good assortment of monsters. Search "D&D monster tokens", or "D&D tokens". There were also two 4th Edition "Monster Vault" sets that came with token sheets. It might actually be cheaper to buy the full sets by purchasing Monster Vault and Threats to the Nentir Vale off Ebay. They both came with about 4 token sheets each. Just make sure the token sheets are included from the seller.

Monster Vaults on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...e=as2&tag=ragiowlb-20&linkId=5IJD6QFNTT3BT7JF
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...e=as2&tag=ragiowlb-20&linkId=WHTIN5L2CTIEB3FW
(EDIT: Keep in mind the 4th Edition Monster Vault rules won't be compatible with the 5e Starter Set, although the fluff [non-mechanic setting/background information] in the Nentir Vale supplement is excellent for generating ideas and may be worth the price on its own).

Oh, I also forgot Pathfinder has a Bestiary token set (recommended). These come standing upright:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...e=as2&tag=ragiowlb-20&linkId=KICLUT6F6ZYLBMZT

At $30, they're not cheap, but it's a huge number of tokens (so the price is reasonable given what you get) and they do look good because even though they are cardboard, they stand upright rather than flat on the table. This might actually be the best/cheapest option to get a wide variety of monsters.

There are also 2 super cheap token sheets - thin cheap cardboard, but only one $1:
http://paizo.com/products/btpy7qi1?Dungeon-Monster-Tokens-Set-1
http://paizo.com/products/btpy7qi2?Dungeon-Monster-Tokens-Set-3

If you do decide to stock up on minis, look for deals on "lots" of similar, common monsters -- like a group of goblins, group of orc, gnolls, etc on Ebay to try to get your price per mini as close to $2 per figure as possible.

3) Online maps -- Don't count on this. Yes, in 4th Edition many of the maps were available online as long as you subscribed to their online tools. The online subscription details have not been spoken about at all for Fifth Edition, so you may not have access to digital maps right away until WotC gets their digital act together.

However, Mike Schley (who does a lot of WotC maps) apparently has been allowed to sell some of those works through his own website (http://mikeschley.com/) so you might keep an eye there to see if Starter Set maps appear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Raging Owlbear - http://ragingowlbear.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner

I would recommend buy an extra d20 for each set of dice you will be using, as you will be rolling two d20s every time time you roll with advantage or disadvantage. This isn't critical, but helpful.

Remove ads