D&D 5E Ranger

Because the duration of Lightening Arrow is a concentration check with a duration up to one minute and includes any attack made during the spell's duration, our DM had no reason to say it couldn't work as long as the checks were made. That made things extremely fun.
Volley also modifies the attack action and is itself treated as one attack; not much different from the Volley found in the Pathfinder games.

"The next time you make a ranged weapon attack during the spell's duration..."

The spells that let you keep on doing damage (hex, hunter's mark, divine favor) say, "until the spell ends".

I'm sorry, but that just isn't a valid reading of the text. Your DM is house-ruling. There is nothing wrong with that, but if he wants to know how the rule is written to work, it's a single use during the spell's duration. (Which means you might as well stop concentrating on the spell immediately after, because it is useless for the remainder of its duration.)

UptownMotown

First Post
"The next time you make a ranged weapon attack during the spell's duration..."

The spells that let you keep on doing damage (hex, hunter's mark, divine favor) say, "until the spell ends".

I'm sorry, but that just isn't a valid reading of the text. Your DM is house-ruling. There is nothing wrong with that, but if he wants to know how the rule is written to work, it's a single use during the spell's duration. (Which means you might as well stop concentrating on the spell immediately after, because it is useless for the remainder of its duration.)

One lightning arrow or two, I'm still leaving plenty of bodies to be picked up afterwards though assassination and sneak attack damage. I'm very familiar with hunter's mark as well. Two volleys, move, hide, repeat. Lightning arrow is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

...as for the beast master subclass, if I were DMing I'd definitely allow animal companions to attack all by their lonesome. I may consider making the command to attack a bonus action, but only on the first round and never as a full action (unless the player wants to try to give his or her companion particularly involved instructions or something).[/FONT][/COLOR]

I rule that these creatures are more than automata and wouldn't just stand around licking their balls until daddy throws a stick. I mean, wolves, boars, bears, mastiffs, panthers...these guys aren't meek by nature.

Every combat round, if not commanded by the Ranger, I roll 1d6:
1-3 companion Dodges
4-5 companion Helps
6 companion Attacks

Now, if your Ranger for RP reasons has chosen a Cat as a companion, I'd amend the above to say that on a 1 it actually does just lick its balls. Because verisimilitude.

Last edited:

UptownMotown

First Post
Lightning arrow only applies to one attack. The rule is "if you are making an attack roll, you are making an attack." You can make lots of attacks with Volley, but only the first one will get the lightning arrow effect.

Of course, if your DM is fine with it, feel free to nuke the monsters. :cool:

As a random aside, I was just running some numbers and noticed that lower level rangers have exceptional damage output if they can consistently get multiple opponents near each other and make use of horde breaker. And hunter's mark just boosts it through the roof. I mean, if you go TWF, you are making 4 attacks at level 5. Only the monk can compete, and he doesn't have hunter's mark. The downside is that their class-based damage output (not counting the 11th level multiattack features or spells) levels off when they max their attack stat (so probably around 8th level) and from that point on their basic attacks don't get any better. However, it does level off at a really nice place and it takes other classes quite some time to catch up with them. I had already done some damage analysis at max levels, but I didn't realize how much of a powerhouse the ranger was at low through mid-levels.

I see your monk and raise you my Half-Orc Berserker 16/Champion 4 that can pop off up to 10 attacks per turn for 1d8+15, 19-20 x5 minimum damage per attack.

Last edited:

UptownMotown

First Post
Lightning arrow only applies to one attack. The rule is "if you are making an attack roll, you are making an attack." You can make lots of attacks with Volley, but only the first one will get the lightning arrow effect.

Of course, if your DM is fine with it, feel free to nuke the monsters. :cool:

As a random aside, I was just running some numbers and noticed that lower level rangers have exceptional damage output if they can consistently get multiple opponents near each other and make use of horde breaker. And hunter's mark just boosts it through the roof. I mean, if you go TWF, you are making 4 attacks at level 5. Only the monk can compete, and he doesn't have hunter's mark. The downside is that their class-based damage output (not counting the 11th level multiattack features or spells) levels off when they max their attack stat (so probably around 8th level) and from that point on their basic attacks don't get any better. However, it does level off at a really nice place and it takes other classes quite some time to catch up with them. I had already done some damage analysis at max levels, but I didn't realize how much of a powerhouse the ranger was at low through mid-levels.

UPDATE: Discovered the wonders of Permanency (thanks to our friendly-neighborhood wizard) and had Lightning Arrow permanently applied to my bow. Homeruling and cover null and void.

Remove ads