D&D 5E Dwarves: too good as fighters?

Quartz

Hero
I've just been re-reading the section on dwarves in the Basic Rules. Not only do they get +2 Con, but also an extra +1 HP per level. Coupled with the ability to move better in armour this seems a huge boost in fighting power.If you're going for a strength-based fighter, why would you choose another race?

They may have made the best fighters in 3e too. They lost a feat compared to humans, but got +2 to saving throws against spells, and the speed penalty was meaningless if wearing heavy armor.

D&DN is similar to 3e with less technical language. This doesn't really surprise me.

Hardly too good, but certainly good. But then that's the point -- the D&D trope and history is that dwarves make good fighters, elves make good wizards, halflings make good rogues, half-orcs make good barbarians, and gnomes make good pies.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh, for cryin' out loud. They already make the best wizards. Now, they make the best fighters too?!?!?

They don't really make the best wizards, that was pretty well debunked. However they do make a decent wizard of a particular type.

Stalker0

Legend
Oh, for cryin' out loud. They already make the best wizards. Now, they make the best fighters too?!?!?

But there is one thing they aren't good at....being elves.

Elves I hear are pretty good at being elves...so they will continue to show up far more often at people's gaming table.

Quipes aside, there is a strong "elf bias" in DND, people like playing pretty races, as stats in WOW found. I don't know if WOTC intentionally try to make dwarves more attractive, but it is a possibility.

Remove ads