D&D 5E Dwarves: too good as fighters?

SigmaOne

First Post
So...we finally get to an edition where wizards can cast in full plate....but a barbarian can't get angry wearing chain mail?

They can still get angry while wearing chain mail; they're just not comfortable enough to tap into that rage to their benefit. Too distracted by the chafing.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Barbarians don't get heavy armor. Also Plate Armor is super expensive.

Fighter 1, barb xxxx does.... I actually love that super durable concept for a rager fighter/barb, sweet! ?.. oh no, just realised you cant rage in heavy armour apparently, boo!

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm still using basic but it seems dex based fighter is better as the AC difference is only one and even if you use a two handed weapon+great weapon style just pick dual wielding instead. Outside of using a THW and even then vs dual wielding I can't see much incentive to take a strength based fighter but I would have to look at feats and things like variant human racial to get a better idea.

Dausuul

Legend
To me, the benchmark for any race/class is, "How does it stack up to a human of the same class?" The dwarf fighter is competitive with a human fighter, but not noticeably ahead of it--that bonus feat is huge.

(Also, the mountain dwarf is a better fighter than the hill dwarf IMO. +2 Strength beats +1 Wisdom/+level hit points in my book.)

To me, the benchmark for any race/class is, "How does it stack up to a human of the same class?" The dwarf fighter is competitive with a human fighter, but not noticeably ahead of it--that bonus feat is huge.

(Also, the mountain dwarf is a better fighter than the hill dwarf IMO. +2 Strength beats +1 Wisdom/+level hit points in my book.)

Though the armor proficiency it gives is worthless for flighty types sadly.

Quartz

Hero
1) Flavor, for starters.

Flavour takes second place to fun, and it's not fun for a player to see their otherwise identical character outclassed ab initio.

2) How about a +1 to ALL SIX ability stats, or a free feat that you otherwise won't get until 4th level? That's pretty tempting.

I'm not so sure. A +2 to one stat at the start is far better than two +1s - looking at the Basic Rules I'd eyeball it at three.

But going back to the fun part, non-humans get fun abilities like darkvision and Lucky and poison resistance and proficiencies. Humans don't get any of that fun stuff. Even choosing the alternative of one +2, a feat, and a proficiency still leaves them behind (and I'll remind you that the Basic Rules lacks feats).

Remove ads