Origins of the Term "Gamer"

Kaodi

Hero
Some of you might be aware of the "firestorm" (because Eric's Grandma would frown on me accurately describing the kind of storm) that is going on in video games over the last while. I do not really want to talk about that directly, at least not in this thread. I would, however, like to ask a tangential question related to it: Am I seriously misremembering somehow by thinking that we self-described as "gamers" long, long before that term came to be adopted by people who played video games? Or did we call ourselves simply "roleplayers" or "D&Ders" and not "gamers" ?

Edit: Messed up, did not mean to post this in Pathfinder sub-forum, rather the general Tabletop/RPG.

Last edited:

Vegepygmy

First Post
Some of you might be aware of the "firestorm" (because Eric's Grandma would frown on me accurately describing the kind of storm) that is going on in video games over the last while.
I'm not even remotely aware of it.

Kaodi said:
Am I seriously misremembering somehow by thinking that we self-described as "gamers" long, long before that term came to be adopted by people who played video games?
I know for a fact that I did, at least.

Kaodi said:
Or did we call ourselves simply "roleplayers" or "D&Ders" and not "gamers" ?
I've never referred to myself as a "D&Der" and only rarely as a "role-player," which to me sounds more like I'm in therapy or being forced to participate in some lame workplace team-building exercise.

Nope, it was always "me and my gamer/gaming buddies."

Janx

Hero
It's not like video games existence didn't overlap tabletop gaming.

Or that people who did table top were exclusive to it. As a made up statistic, I would predict that 90% of all table-top gamers also play video games. Even in the 80's.

So until somebody needs to differentiate, saying you are a gamer to a non-gamer, pretty much categorizes you to that person. A non-gamer doesn't know what the difference is and doesn't care.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would, however, like to ask a tangential question related to it: Am I seriously misremembering somehow by thinking that we self-described as "gamers" long, long before that term came to be adopted by people who played video games?

A couple quick web searches suggests that the term dates back to the 1620s. Yes, as in 17th century. It is not new to videogamers, or role-playing gamers.

We probably inherited the term from "wargamer", since our hobby has roots there.

Or did we call ourselves simply "roleplayers" or "D&Ders" and not "gamers" ?

I don't recall "roleplayers" or "D&Ders" being commonly used terms in the 1980s.

Edit: Messed up, did not mean to post this in Pathfinder sub-forum, rather the general Tabletop/RPG.

No problemo. Moved it for you.

I'm not even remotely aware of it.
Google #gamergate if you're interested. It's really more about gaming journalism than it is about anything else, though.

As to the main question--gamer--someone who plays games, or has gaming as a hobby. It most likely was applied independently to people who like role-playing games and people who like video games. Of course, there's some degree of overlap too, but the term is so obvious that there's no reason to assume that it was borrowed from one industry to the other.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Nice find, [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]!

I recall folks calling themselves gamers when I first tabletop gamed in the early 70s, and I did as well. I play an occasional video/computer/console game but don't consider myself a player of them, generally speaking. When D&D first came out, most of us who added it to our game rotation were hex-and-chit wargamers and miniatures wargamers, as well as boardgamers and chess players. So, when I've said gamer, I've definitely always meant tabletop gamer.

I know very few people who are strictly tabletop gamers, even among the old timers I regular tabletop game with. Even those who don't play games that are strictly video games (Tom Wham and Brian Blume are Marvel Heroes and LotR online fans, among other games) often play the online or App versions of the boardgames they enjoy. I know one fella in particular who will get introduced to a boardgame then play the Hell out of it online or by App before playing it again on the tabletop, then he's a killer. :D

Celebrim

Legend
I've always assumed the term meant, "Someone that played games", without assuming that it specified what sort or was exclusive to a subdomain. If I was asked to be more specific, I'd say it means, "Some that plays games .... a lot."

Certainly, when I hear the word "gamer", my bias is that is a person who shares my values with respect to games and plays video games, RPGs, CCG's, board games, and well pretty much anything with 'game' in it with almost equal relish. The more broadly you play games, enjoy games, and explore the world of games, the more title I assume you have to the word and the more likely I assume you adopt the word as not more a description but an identity.

As for Umbran's etymology, the 17th century version of the word meant 'athlete' (one who plays what we'd now call sports) and while the modern word 'gamer' is the same word, my assumption would be that it has an independent derivation. It's a natural word to create to mean "someone who plays games". You wouldn't need to know it from prior usage to adopt it casually.

That being said, gamer to mean specifically, "one who plays video games" isn't attested until 1993 which to me seems startlingly late. I could have sworn it existed in my vocabulary to describe RPG players before that, though I could well be misremembering, so it must be the press took a long while to catch up. I do recall prior to 1990 more hearing the term "dungeonhead", formed as a cognate of "metalhead", to describe the particular high school click of outsiders defined by their gaming, and sometimes self-adopted the term. But I'm pretty sure that "gamer" was on the tongue, and that for example, "wargamer" or "power gamer" was around and so "gamer" without the sub-classification was as well. However, if I was using "gamer" before 1990, I wouldn't have assumed that it specifically meant "one that plays RPGs". I wouldn't have thought to differentiate.

Charles Wright

First Post
It's not like video games existence didn't overlap tabletop gaming.

Or that people who did table top were exclusive to it. As a made up statistic, I would predict that 90% of all table-top gamers also play video games. Even in the 80's.

So until somebody needs to differentiate, saying you are a gamer to a non-gamer, pretty much categorizes you to that person. A non-gamer doesn't know what the difference is and doesn't care.

While this is true, the inverse is not. Most people who play video games have an active disdain for tabletop RPGs.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Over the years, I also have seen the term "Gamer" used to describe gamblers. I can imagine the term could possibly have been used in that capacity (in many languages) as far back as ancient times.

Titus: I've got some gamers getting together under the Sphinx later tonight. Bring your purse.

Gaius: I've heard the dice used by Septus tend to roll his way a bit too often, not that he'd ever cheat.

Titus: Naw, we caught him cheating last time, smashed his dice, and buried him in the sand overnight to teach him a lesson. He doesn't play much anymore. Scorpions poked out his eyes.

Gaius: Cool. See you tonight. I'll bring the Wolf Nibble Chips.

Remove ads