Giving feats at every level.

Albert_Fish

First Post
i am working on a very LOW magic game similar to LOTR in feel ( ie those that can use magic should be FEARED BEYOND REASON!) but with LOTR-movie and conan like feats of bravely skill and ability. To simulate this i am elimination sorcerors, wizards, psionics all together ( maybe a monster or two), druids and Clerics among PCs, in fact the only magic using class available to the PCs will be the Adept from the DMG . But to give them a combat edge i am thinking of bumping up Feat acquisition.
Admittedly what gave me this idea was my recent purchase of Mongoose's "ULTIMATE FEATS", and i just cant wait to try them all!
What do you guys think of this? will it radically unblance the game? even if i give leader adversaires the same feat benefits?

Does this offset the lack of magic among the PCs in a fairly low magic world?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Will it unbalance the game? To some degree. There most likely won't be much point to playing a fighter anymore. Their real advantage is that they are the only class who really gets all the feats they need. If human Barbarians and Paladins have enough feats to qualify for weaponmaster at level 5, there's not much point to playing a fighter.

The other problem with it is that if feats become a non-limited commodity, they lose their specialness. Under normal rules, a fighter can't have weapon focus, specialization, and improved critical, whirlwind attack, great cleave, and Spirited Charge by level ten. Under your feat/level system, the tenth level human fighter could have Improved Trip, Sunder, and Improved Sunder as well. By that point, he'll have nearly every feat he wants and is qualified for which means that there won't be much difference between high-level fighting characters anymore. They will all have the same feats because they'll all have all the useful feats for their character concepts.

Will it offset the lack of magic? Absolutely not. There's a lot of things that magic does and feats don't.

-Magic heals wounds.
-Magic prevents wounds from occuring in the first place (shield of faith, protection from evil, barkskin, +1 to +5 shields, armor, rings of protection, amulets of natural armor). The only feats that do that are dodge, mobility and expertise and they don't hold a candle to magic armor etc.
-Magic gives characters better stats
-Magic makes characters hit more and do more damage. (Feats are very limited in this regard--Weapon focus, Weapon specialization, Power Lunge, and a few others exist but they lack the effectiveness of magic weapons).
-Magic penetrates DR
-Magic grants additional mobility (Dash is a good start but doesn't hold a candle to Expeditious Retreat, Alter Self, Fly, etc).

If you want to make up for lack of magic, you should try using classes and monsters from the Wheel of Time books or another setting that is designed to be much lower magic.

Albert_Fish

First Post
well i was planning on using orcs goblinoids, beasts, magical beasts and the such...the major bad guys being vampires. This limits the players needs to penetrate DR in many cases and actually makes DR useful in every case.
About getting every feat a player wants...well i have something like 100s of feats in the book i mentioned...more choices means higher flexibility. I am getting rid of magic specifically to make combat tougher more realistic. Of course feats take away some realism and do make combat simpler but not to the level magic does..
you make a good point about qualifing for prestige classes. i dont know how to fix that though other than getting rid o prestige classes or requireing strict training for both feats and PrCs.
How about a new feat every two levels?

las

First Post
that would be lease of a thing and will kepp the fighter were he should be. But you still will need to wach it for it can still trow your game off if your not carfel.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Albert_Fish said:
well i was planning on using orcs goblinoids, beasts, magical beasts and the such...the major bad guys being vampires. This limits the players needs to penetrate DR in many cases and actually makes DR useful in every case.
About getting every feat a player wants...well i have something like 100s of feats in the book i mentioned...more choices means higher flexibility. I am getting rid of magic specifically to make combat tougher more realistic. Of course feats take away some realism and do make combat simpler but not to the level magic does..

Getting rid of magic will have effects other than making combat "tougher." Since there's very little healing without magic, it will have the effect of making it very difficult for PCs to recover after combat.

Also, since attack bonusses increase very quickly--especially if you're using levelled foes--and armor class hardly increases at all without magic, you will very quickly reach the point where there's not a whole lot of point in wearing armor since it doesn't help much. The net effect of this will be to favor characters who can deal out damage the most quickly. I think there'd be one kind of viable fighter in this nonmagical D&D system--the greatsword or greataxe wielding fighter/barbarian. Since he's going to get hit no matter what he does, the only thing to do is get used to the fact, get lots of hit points to be able to survive it and dish out damage more quickly than the other guy.

Archers might be viable as well but they tend to be dependant upon strength buffs (to get to 18) and GMW for stacking magic arrows. Without those bonusses, they won't compete with melee characters.

Dual wielders will be viable at around first and fourth level, but they usually depend upon using two magical weapons to get an edge on two handed weapon fighters. They'll still do well if they've got sneak attack but otherwise, forget it.

Sword and Shield will be a waste of time. Two points of armor class is good at first level but it depends upon other means of increasing AC to be useful at higher levels. For a clvl 8 fighter type, the difference between an 18 and a 20 AC is pretty negligable. So the sword and shield guy should ditches the shield, picks up a barbarian level and joins the ranks of the fighter/barbarian horde.

As to the feats, I'm not familiar with the sources you'll be using but there are lots of feats out there that aren't very useful--especially for characters built around a concept. For instance, the characters I'd build for a low magic game like this would either be a rogue duellist type who gets his damage out of sneak attack, a fighter/barbarian type, or a Reach version of the fighter/barbarian.

The last one is the most feat intensive but what do I need for my guisarm master? (At two feats/level)
Lvl 1 Fighter: Weapon Focus: Guisarm, Combat Reflexes, Expertise
Lvl 2 Fighter: Improved Trip, Two Handed Power Strike
Lvl 3 Barbarian:
Lvl 4 Barbarian: Dodge
Lvl 5: Fighter
Lvl 6: Fighter: Mobility, Weapon Specialization: Guisarm
Lvl 7: Fighter
Lvl 8: Fighter: Spring Attack, Improved Critical: Guisarm
Lvl 9: Fighter
Lvl 10: Fighter: Extra Rage, Whirlwind Attack
The Rest: Weapon Master
12: Power Crit
14: Power Attack?
16: Cleave?
18: Dash?
20: Even More Rage?

By that point, I have all of the feats I know of that are really advantageous for the character. Everything else--Power Attack, Cleave, Power Crit falls into the nifty but unnecessary section and unless there are a bunch of feats like Reduce Crit multiplier, Extra Damage Reduction, Extra Armor Class, Even More Super Duper Tarrasque's Toughness, etc. I don't see any that I'd really want. And that's with a very feat intensive character. If I were playing something non-feat intensive like the following, I really don't know what I'd do:

Half Orc Barbarian--too dumb for Expertise (Greatsword wielder)

Bbn1: Power Attack
Bbn 2: Cleave
Bbn 3, 4: Two Handed Power Strike
Bbn 5, 6: Weapon Focus
Bbn 7, 8: Improved Critical
Bbn 9, 10: ???
Bbn 11, 12: Power Critical

However, one thing you will notice is that at 1 feat/2 levels (or even 1 feat/level) these guys aren't going to overpower normal characters with Magic Items. The Barbarian's extra feat by 12th level and the inclusion of the overly powerful Two Handed Power Strike don't make up for the fact that a normal 12th level Barbarian would probably have a +3 flaming greatsword, Boots of Speed, a +4 Mithral Breastplate, a +4 belt of Giant Strength, +4 Bracers of Health, a ring of protection +2, and an amulet of natural armor +2 giving him an AC that can be missed on a roll of a 9 or a 10 on a primary attack, an extra attack (haste), +5 to hit and +9.5 to damage and 24 extra hit points.

You'll need to accept and adjust to the fact that the no magic PCs won't be anywhere near as powerful as normal PCs of that level or use classes from a system designed for lower magic.

you make a good point about qualifing for prestige classes. i dont know how to fix that though other than getting rid o prestige classes or requireing strict training for both feats and PrCs.
How about a new feat every two levels?

A new feat every two levels preserves the attraction of the fighter class and makes prestige classes more difficult to qualify for. However, it certainly won't balance the fact that the PCs don't have magic. If you want to do that, you'll need to do something like adopt an Armor as DR system, a wound points and vitality system, or a class system like WoT's which gives defense bonusses with level.

Albert_Fish

First Post
ok...soa new feat every other level.

We have actually discussed an armour as DR but as we arent rules lawyers good at game blance i would like some help inthat area. We think armour should be mostly DR and shields should be mostly AC....but again, as you point out the HIGH BAB bonues negate the usefulness of any sort of AC.

I really want to run a low magic campaign but i dont know how to balance it. We basically are looking for somethign akin to the pendragon game...maybe i should download the grim-n-gritty rules.

Ace

Adventurer
I have a set of guidelines I use for low magic games , like my next one ;)

Feats at 1,3,5,7,9,11,13, 15,17,19 This is a total of 3 more feats from levels 1 to 20. THis makes up for the lack of "spell cast" items

2 extra skill points for every class. With less skill boost items they will need a few more skills. Plus the group just likes the extra skills. Heck we like it will enough to use in every game

Defense Bonus based on level. I will post a chart (without classes) I found on this site. What it does is make up for the loss of magic armor bonuses and help keep combat even

If you need a book reference check out Swashbuckling Adventures. They boost up Prestige Classes for low magic worlds quite a bit

Other good choices include Wheel of Time and having a look at Star Wars and D20 Modern

A word of caution though DO NOT use the Unarmored Defense feat is Swashbuckling Adventures with Defense. They will not work together and will quickly overpower the character. If you plan to use armor, use defense, and let it stack at least for fighters

Last edited:

Ace

Adventurer
Ace said:

Defense Bonus based on level. I will post a chart (without classes) I found on this site. What it does is make up for the loss of magic armor bonuses and help keep combat even

Here is the defense bonus.

Its not my work so I apologize to the original poster

Attachments

• def bonuses2.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 106

Stalker0

Legend
The main advantage of more feats less magic, is the game become more about the player advancing themselves, and not oh gimme gimme more magic!!

If you do this system- I would suggest adding feats that in some ways replace magic items. Feats that boost stats, feats that add more dodge bonuses or natural armor, etc. However, not a whole lot of these are needed. In your world, replacing the effects of magic with feats completely is a bad idea since magic has certain weaknesses over feats. However, using the feats to allow characters to do things that magic normally doesn't really get into changes the shape of your game and makes it very unusual compared to normal dnd.

The only problem I see with teh system really is balancing the fighter. He's probably going to need something else besides feats to keep him competitive. Other than that, I think it can work out fine.

Albert_Fish

First Post
well, how about fighter only feats?.....the problem is i dont want fighters to become the magic users of a low magic world...able to destroy dragons with one hit, dealing tons of damage ot lots of people in a small area, etc.

Remove ads