D&D 5E Wotc needs to clean up retail shelves

Joe Liker

First Post
Why would anyone buy gaming books from B&N? They are the worst of both worlds. They are not a FLGS, but their brick and mortar stores do not give the deep discounts of Amazon. I guess you might love B&N so much that you want to see them thrive, but ugh.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Why would anyone buy gaming books from B&N? They are the worst of both worlds. They are not a FLGS, but their brick and mortar stores do not give the deep discounts of Amazon. I guess you might love B&N so much that you want to see them thrive, but ugh.

I used to buy all my gaming books from Waldenbooks, and for one reason: That's where my parents took me. OP has a point, especially about younger people trying to figure out what to buy.

Crothian

First Post

Actually with the right coupons and discounts I find that I can get books at B&N cheaper then Amazon and that's with B&N charging me tax.

Falcon10275

Banned
Banned
as usual, you guys are missing the point. The point I am making, is if wizards wants to grow thier product, then, they need to make some changes in the mass market space. Someone that has never played beofre or does not know about D&D isn't going to be hanging out in what you wierdos call a FLGS and what I call a mom and pop store, this person is going to be in barnes and noble, and instead of picking up the starter set or picking up the 5e book and getting hooked for life, they are going to get very confused and most likly by the inferior Pathfinder book.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I'd like to see kids learn that when they are confused, they should ask someone.

But as a parent of a 12 and 10 year old, I don't expect that to happen until they are at least parents.

halfling rogue

Explorer
I think the OP point is valid in that B&N is a store for everyone and multiple editions on the shelf is probably confusing to those not in the know. But I wonder if it's really that big of a concern. I have a hard time imagining a kid, say 13, who is unfamiliar with D&D, impulse buying D&D products just because they are on the shelf.

The problem I see is when someone who has some kind of familiarity with D&D, say a kid who played it once with his friends over the weekend, or a parent/grandparent who knows their kid wants a PHB, goes to B&N because--books...and then confusion. That's really the only problem I see with multiple editions on the shelf. If you weigh that against the positive reasons Wizards might want multiple editions on the shelf (such as, moneymoneymoney), I don't think it hurts the growth of 5e. And honestly I've never seen 2e anything at B&N. The only old stuff I ever see is at Half Price Books.

So I think it's a valid concern, but probably not that big of a deal.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The store I go to ... omg

its a big wall of 4th and 3rd. The 5e stuff is hidden on the bottom row and the phb are behind the MMs?

I have no idea what they are thinking other than trying to get rid of stock ... selling older versions of the game because new people don't know any better.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
as usual, you guys are missing the point. The point I am making, is if wizards wants to grow thier product, then, they need to make some changes in the mass market space. Someone that has never played beofre or does not know about D&D isn't going to be hanging out in what you wierdos call a FLGS and what I call a mom and pop store, this person is going to be in barnes and noble, and instead of picking up the starter set or picking up the 5e book and getting hooked for life, they are going to get very confused and most likly by the inferior Pathfinder book.

Heh. I seem to recall at my local Barnes & Noble that there was an entire shelf section *and* a table right next to it that was absolutely filled with 4E books and supplies-- and not even spine-out, but actual face-front presentation of the books, the campaign settings, the huge boxes of Dungeon Tiles... and that didn't stop WotC from pulling the plug on the game after a couple years.

So we might say this helps prove the "correlation does not imply causation" theory that your statements about the current poor B&N shelving seem to be inferring about WotC's future sales. :)

Falcon10275

Banned
Banned
I used to buy all my gaming books from Waldenbooks, and for one reason: That's where my parents took me. OP has a point, especially about younger people trying to figure out what to buy.

Man, I miss Waldenbooks. I used to love going to the mall and going in there to see the latest D&D books and that one shelf where they had all the box sets stacked up.

Remove ads