D&D 5E Party SOPs

Riley37

First Post
They could just Greyhawk the whole module and save hours!

If you ever play Diplomacy, here's the classy way: get all the factions to agree on a joint victory, on turn 1, with the status quo. No move orders, or perhaps everyone gets one expansion. Game over in one minute.

Then play another game of Diplomacy, going for the usual single or two-players-shared victory, for a few hours.

Depends on your setting's tech level. If I walked into a leatherworking shop in Rome in 300 AD, or London in 1400 AD, and asked the leatherworker to make a backpack like that... well, then again, they've probably never heard of anyone using alchemist's fire as a personal weapon (rather than in full-scale war), or paying 50 GP for a healing potion.

I don't think Aragorn's backpack had that feature; maybe Eragon's did?

I've seen packs stitched by hand for the North Vietnamese army that had hempen rings and wooden toggles to do this, so its' not a tech level issue, IMHO.

Riley37

First Post
That's mission planning, not SOP. :)

In TV/movies/etc., there is a dramatic rule: if the audience sees the planning, then sees the action unfold entirely according to plan, that's generally not entertaining. Either the audience doesn't see the planning, and learns the plan as the protagonists execute it (possibly with voiceover, flashback, etc.); or the audience sees the planning, then sees what happens as the plan goes awry. Since the players are the audience, they don't have the option of not seeing the planning...

Which doesn't mean the plan HAS to go awry in tabletop, but if there are die rolls along the way, then there's at least some suspense and dramatic tension, and possibly choices not anticipated during planning.

Side story: a D&D group once decided to use a Wish to remove all the loot from a dungeon, bringing it directly to them. They spent a while planning out exactly how to phrase it, including "only good treasure: nothing cursed, and all traps disarmed."

The DM pondered, and ruled that since none of the treasure had a Good alignment, none of it was affected by the Wish.

In TV/movies/etc., there is a dramatic rule: if the audience sees the planning, then sees the action unfold entirely according to plan, that's generally not entertaining. Either the audience doesn't see the planning, and learns the plan as the protagonists execute it (possibly with voiceover, flashback, etc.); or the audience sees the planning, then sees what happens as the plan goes awry. Since the players are the audience, they don't have the option of not seeing the planning...

Understood. But in the words of Colonel Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together!" :D

In any case I'm mainly fishing for dungeon 'best practices' you use to good effect.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
1) Divert the nearest river into the dungeon to flood it.
2) Seal any exits you can locate.
3) Watch for escapees and pick them off.

Remove ads