D&D 5E Party SOPs

was

Adventurer
We often do not keep track of rations and ammunition. Instead, when we are in village, or town, everyone just deducts 2 gp for rations and archers deduct a 1 gp for ammunition.

My party must have the same teachers. Thunder Wave, Thunderous Smite, Shatter, Call Lightning with knock back (thanks Tempest Cleric). My party brings the NOIZE. The enemy is happy to bring reinforcements to the party though.

I think it's because these spells are some of the better AOE damage effects. Now that the mage has fireball we might see it get quieter. After all if the Mage starts with shatter you might as well take it to 11.

Intersting... my party uses "knock" to make sure everyone knows they are there... seems a bit more polite...

Also known as the 'Critical hits set my PC on fire now' accessory.

Perhaps ... this is why backpacks should have quick release shoulder straps (small iron rings w/ leather pulls) so they can be ditched as a free/reaction/bonus action when combat begins (especially if you're playing with encumbrance rules).

Riley37

First Post
Depends on your setting's tech level. If I walked into a leatherworking shop in Rome in 300 AD, or London in 1400 AD, and asked the leatherworker to make a backpack like that... well, then again, they've probably never heard of anyone using alchemist's fire as a personal weapon (rather than in full-scale war), or paying 50 GP for a healing potion.

I don't think Aragorn's backpack had that feature; maybe Eragon's did?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
In noncombat situations with no time constraint, assume the cleric or druid always casts Guidance before any ability/skill check.

One of the most useful advantages of SOPs is efficiency. A SOP for camping/watches saves a bunch of table time.

Not a SOP, but another time saver: having the group decide on a designated leader for a session. Someone who can make decisions in a crisis that everyone agrees, beforehand, to follow (within reason). Prevents analysis paralysis when the DM is trying to evoke urgency, which results in more action/more fun for everyone. I've been in too many games where the table spends 30 minutes of real time deciding whether to go right or left. ;p A return to the old school "party caller" role leads to a more enjoyable game night

I played with a bunch at one time that had a shorthand with their GM. They used the word Greyhawk for each practice: We Greyhawk the door. We Greyhawk the room. We Greyhawk the tavern. With a door it meant check for traps, first in front of the door, then around, then the door itself including a thief unlocking it if necessary then stepping back so the two fighters could move up to open it. With a room, it included all that and searching, plus checking for secret doors and secret compartments in furniture and the like. With taverns, there were certain things to look for and where to sit, who to talk to and who to avoid, what to order and how much to spend on typical meals and drinks. All of this included accepting the time factors the GM would work out in his head so that could fast track those things and get on to more direct RPGing or combat, depending on which they were trying to get on with.
They could just Greyhawk the whole module and save hours!

Remove ads