D&D 5E Strength bows?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I'm working out the details on an archer I'm building.

I remember in 2e, there were bows that could be built to take advantage of a characters high STR score. I think they had this in 3e as well.

Does this exist in 5e? As I said, I'm working out the details on an archer I'm building, and I'll definitely give him a higher STR if it will affect archery.

Thanks!

Paraxis

Explorer
No strength has no effect on archery. Make your Dexterity as high as you can, dump strength use light armor and have a finesse weapon that also uses just Dexterity to hit and damage as a back up.

S

Sunseeker

No strength has no effect on archery. Make your Dexterity as high as you can, dump strength use light armor and have a finesse weapon that also uses just Dexterity to hit and damage as a back up.

This. There is currently no way to use str on ranged attacks in 5th.

Syntallah

First Post
You could merely create a new Weapon Property specific to the longbow whcih is the antithesis of Finesse:

Might. When making an attack with a might weapon, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.

Keep an eye on it (limit it to longbows to start), and if it doesn't throw things out of whack, maybe branch out to heavy crossbows (stronger gears,pulleys,etc). Would help mitigate the "Dex/Finesse fighter is king of D&D now" thing going on a bit.

S

Sunseeker

You could merely create a new Weapon Property specific to the longbow whcih is the antithesis of Finesse:

Might. When making an attack with a might weapon, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls. You must use the same modifier for both rolls.

Keep an eye on it (limit it to longbows to start), and if it doesn't throw things out of whack, maybe branch out to heavy crossbows (stronger gears,pulleys,etc). Would help mitigate the "Dex/Finesse fighter is king of D&D now" thing going on a bit.

THIS.

Is a good idea.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I forgot DEX adds to damage in 5e (I'm very new to this edition!).

It would be game breaking if STR and DEX added to damage, and I'd prefer to dump STR.

Thanks!!

Paraxis

Explorer
Now if I had a fighter in my game that was strength based I could see me adding in a magic item like the following.

ODYSSEUS'S BOW
Weapon (bow), Legendary (require's attunement)
This magic bow can only be used by those with a 17 or higher strength. It is +1 to hit and adds the user's strength modifier to damage along with dexterity like normal. It does double damage to inanimate objects, rumored to have once puncturing holes through a dozen axe heads with ease.

Remove ads