D&D 5E What is Missing from 5E?

aramis erak

Legend
Continual Flame, page 227. Essentially the same thing (i think), if you want you could have a version of the spell that looks more like glowing light than a flame.

Not even close to continual light. Continual light was as bright as full daylight under AD&D - which meant it also could be used as a grow-lamp. Continual flame is only as bright as a torch. Not bright enough to grow crops. Not bright enough to blind.

And the Daylight spell doesn't last long enough for that purpose.

There's a reason I called it an underdark worldbuilding spell - it's a way to make the economy of the underdark not surface dependent.

Ketser

First Post
Not even close to continual light. Continual light was as bright as full daylight under AD&D - which meant it also could be used as a grow-lamp. Continual flame is only as bright as a torch. Not bright enough to grow crops. Not bright enough to blind.

And the Daylight spell doesn't last long enough for that purpose.

There's a reason I called it an underdark worldbuilding spell - it's a way to make the economy of the underdark not surface dependent.

Did a bit of research and what it seems is that continual light was essentially a permanent daylight spell. Since continual light is already missing from 3e... where daylight and continual flame spell appear, it seems that when 3e was made this spell was split into two different spells.

Also why do you need a separate spell in PHB for worldbuilding reasons? Don't get me wrong i am a fan of "everyday spells" but there is a limit how much of them are actually needed in rulebooks. Also not everything needs to be a spell that every wizard can use. Maybe the spellcasters of Underdark have learned how to make such powerful light spells, but there is absolutely no need for them to be available to every spellcaster.

If you want to have "continual dayflame" spell in your game, then its fine. Convert or homebrew it.

Uchawi

First Post
I believe spells like continual light in 5E are better served via a magic item creation supplement. I can only hope that such a supplement would address master smiths (non-caster) creating wonderful items as well.

Diamabel

First Post
About the only thing I would really like to see in 5e is a Summoner wizard. That's my favorite kind of wizard and one that I played in 2e and 3e. I was rather taken aback when I realised that conjurers are just another kind of blaster in 5e. If I want to summon minions to do my bidding, I have to play a Druid. I want summoning spells for wizards again, please.

Very much this.. no real summons for a wizard conjurer until level 7? (spell level 4) blech!

Remove ads