D&D 5E What is Missing from 5E?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I was plotting out what equipment to purchase when next my intrepid hero had the opportunity, and discovered that some standard items were missing.

Notably, the sunrod and tindertwig.

What else is missing?

SirAntoine

Banned
Banned
Boots and gloves, winter blankets, different-size tents, beacon lanterns, Greek fire oil, whistles, and lots of armor and weapons. They have the 10' pole, though, so I am happy. Even 2nd Edition missed that one.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I still can't find the cat-hole spade or the boot polish.

Everyone carrying a 10' pole should stop at the entrance to, well, anything and hear a loud "thunk." Then they need to make an attack roll or dex save to get in.

neobolts

Explorer
Boots and gloves, winter blankets, different-size tents, beacon lanterns, Greek fire oil, whistles, and lots of armor and weapons. They have the 10' pole, though, so I am happy. Even 2nd Edition missed that one.

Meh. A "pack" covers most of this. Unless the players specifically want it (which I can do on the fly) or the session has a "survive the elements" hook...all of the mundane stuff is well, mundane and extraneous.

That said, I remember being 12 years old and playing Heroes Unlimited. The exhaustive list of equipment included helicopters, tanks, and the space shuttle. I was utterly convinced that our superhero team needed all of those to fight muggers and bank robbers.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I don't miss the alchemical items. When D&D3 introduced matches and flares it just felt like the game was taking the pseudo-modern aesthetic of D&D too far. Flint and steel and torches are just too much a part of Murderhobo Life.

Represent, or something.

I'm now hesitant to say the game is missing anything, because my experience has been that no sooner have I done so than I'm looking through the book and I find the missing element.

I do love me some detailed equipment lists, though. I recently came to terms with the fact that the only reason I keep convincing myself I like Shadowrun is the armory.

Gadget

Adventurer
I was plotting out what equipment to purchase when next my intrepid hero had the opportunity, and discovered that some standard items were missing.

Notably, the sunrod and tindertwig.

What else is missing?

I'm not sure a flashlight and matches are something I look for on a shopping list for a pseudo-medieval adventure game.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Boots and gloves, winter blankets, different-size tents, beacon lanterns, Greek fire oil, whistles, and lots of armor and weapons....
Yeah, stuff like this. I want an extra blanket and gloves when we go into the far north. I thought I saw a whistle, although now I can't find it.

I'm not sure a flashlight and matches are something I look for on a shopping list for a pseudo-medieval adventure game.
I prefer to adventure in a luxurious style befitting my character's delusions of nobility. ;)

Remove ads