D&D 5E Bards: How did these become a thing?

Ashrym

Legend
The minstrel bard is iconic. Call it a troubadour if you want, but that is the image which many players and game systems try to emulate and make viable.

Maybe that's a better question, of why this is the iconic bard. Was it due to art associated with the class, back in the day?

D&D amalgamates different but similar concepts with bards. Similar concepts existed in cultures all over the world, and the bard role in Western Europe that we normally look at is vastly over the span of a couple of thousand years. Differences over time and location are juxtaposed into that amalgamation in some cases.

Imagery required instruments to be included in the pictures otherwise the image wouldn't be clear it was the bard, and beyond that the roguish wandering minstrel has been around in stories for some time; that was folded in to the bard class. It was rather prominent in 2e, which was little like the 1e version or any other version because it only had mage spells. That version typified the roguish minstrel wanderer who simply picked up magic along the way the most and continues to be a typical archetype with which players are familiar.

Music during battle was used historically during fighting to inspire troops, decrease morale in enemies, and convey orders in battle (communication vs miscommunication over poorly heard verbal commands). It's older than old as a concept and is included in the Old Testament's Book of Joshua against Jericho, documented by the Romans facing the Celts during the Roman invasion, used by Roman and Greek armies early in recorded history, and Scottish bagpipes were even outlawed by the British for a while in 1746 due to their effectiveness.

The image of the heroic warrior-poet in battle was romanticized by French poets and that's the image that should be conveyed when fighting in battle. It could be someone using an instrument on the sideline instead of a weapon or it could be a 6'4" 240 lb warrior singing a battle hymn while swinging a claymore to inspire those around him. Both fit that style. It's not dancing and prancing unless someone chooses to portray it that way and an instrument isn't needed. An instrument wasn't needed in 2e, 3.x, 4e, or 5e no matter how many images there are or people pushing the concept. That's always been a choice with oratory options also existing.

I think the better question is why a person would visualize something goofy instead of something heroic, but I think many of the images that included playing the lute did come across more on the goofy side as you mentioned.

The inspiration, magic, some combat training, healing, etc can all be traced back to folklore, legends, and history. It's not a D&D invention like some might think, and it's not the comical version unless that's how a person chooses to portray a bard.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There's been a few you tube links in this thread but I can't check them now to see if my suggestion is a repeat. On You Tube, look up Lindsey Sterling. Crystallize is a good one to start with to envision a Bard.

I think the better question is why a person would visualize something goofy instead of something heroic, but I think many of the images that included playing the lute did come across more on the goofy side as you mentioned.
Obviously, there must be a reason. They visualize this thing, because they think this is how they're supposed to visualize it.

When I started playing, this is the picture they used for the bard:

[sblock]

2E+Bard.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

The minstrel bard is iconic. Call it a troubadour if you want, but that is the image which many players and game systems try to emulate and make viable.

Maybe that's a better question, of why this is the iconic bard. Was it due to art associated with the class, back in the day?
This thread has given a lot of juicy, juicy info. That said, I think you're kinda hitting it on the head for me: the minstrel is a D&D trope, but I really have trouble understanding why some dandy would be a heroic archetype for anybody. Then again, maybe my trouble is just a disdain for dandies.

Even fixating on the bard as a minstrel, I still sorta can't over the fact that this guy has combat ability, skills, offensive magic, and healing. Kinda feels like it was just created to be mix'n'match/dabbler class.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I have always preferred to think of the Bard as the First Prestige Class. And, in my opinion, it was a really good one.

In 1e, the Bard started as a Fighter, then progressed as Thief, then finally qualified as a Bard, where he was associated with a bardic college and was under the tutelage of Druids.

I much preferred this incarnation of the Bard vs. the 2e and later versions. In fact in 3e, I houseruled the Bard as a Prestige Class (mimicking the 1e requirements).

It evoked a class that required extensive adventuring experience before he gained abilities to cast spell and enchant things.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This thread has given a lot of juicy, juicy info. That said, I think you're kinda hitting it on the head for me: the minstrel is a D&D trope, but I really have trouble understanding why some dandy would be a heroic archetype for anybody. Then again, maybe my trouble is just a disdain for dandies.

I don't think it's a trope created by D&D, however. Quest for the Holy Grail came out in 1975, and just about everything that was popular fantasy was pulled into D&D. So I think the minstrels as adventures appeared first there, then were borrowed by D&D

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I don't think it's a trope created by D&D, however. Quest for the Holy Grail came out in 1975, and just about everything that was popular fantasy was pulled into D&D. So I think the minstrels as adventures appeared first there, then were borrowed by D&D

Alan-a-Dale goes back to the seventeenth century; and Disney's Robin Hood came out in 1973!

Coredump

Explorer
There's been a few you tube links in this thread but I can't check them now to see if my suggestion is a repeat. On You Tube, look up Lindsey Sterling. Crystallize is a good one to start with to envision a Bard.

That is one small woman, standing still playing the violin. She barely even moves her feet. The gist of the video is lots of editting cuts in different places and different angles. She could have done the same performance on any small stage in the world.

Remove ads