Gary Gygax Q&A threads--where are they?

grodog

Hero
Whatever redirects were previously in place don't seem to be working now, or Google hasn't updated its indexes with the new URLs.

Where are the Gary Gygax Q&A threads now?

grodog

Hero
Thanks Russ. Once I changed my setting to not be the last 2 months, I saw it.

Is it possible for you to create a redirect for the old URLs when they were in multiple threads? When I search on Google like this

https://www.google.com/search?q=gw1+legion+of+gold+grodog+site@enworld.org&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I get links that point to Q&A Part VI page 21, for example:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?57832-Gary-Gygax-Q-amp-A-Part-IV/page21

but that results in this message:

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

grodog

Hero
If you have access to Google's webmaster tools for ENWorld, you can trigger a re-index of the site content.

In general, though, Google will still have older links in place in its index, and they will be given more precedence in their pagerank algorithm/in their search results, unless you place a 301 redirect in place, which then transfers the old pagerank importance of a page to the new location of the page.

grodog

Hero
Google automatically gets a sitemap submitted from EN World once a month.

That's fine, but you can prompt them to reindex specific pages/URLs, and just because they're receiving the sitemap doesn't mean that they're doing anything to fix the older links from the pre-combined threads. Unless those threads were combined quite recently, perhaps??

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's fine, but you can prompt them to reindex specific pages/URLs, and just because they're receiving the sitemap doesn't mean that they're doing anything to fix the older links from the pre-combined threads. Unless those threads were combined quite recently, perhaps??

Yes, the other day.

Remove ads