Official Metal PATHFINDER DICE?

I don't usually report on dice Kickstarters, simply because there's a lot of them. It's not often that a major company is involved in one, though -- Q-Workshop has partnered with Paizo Publishing to produce what they have dubbed "the most awesome metal dice set on Earth". These are black painted, engraved, full-metal dice - the usual set (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d10 with tens). A set will cost you $69, with free worldwide shipping, expected in March 2016; or, if you pay a bit more, you can get them in time for Christmas.

I don't usually report on dice Kickstarters, simply because there's a lot of them. It's not often that a major company is involved in one, though -- Q-Workshop has partnered with Paizo Publishing to produce what they have dubbed "the most awesome metal dice set on Earth". These are black painted, engraved, full-metal dice - the usual set (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d10 with tens). A set will cost you $69, with free worldwide shipping, expected in March 2016; or, if you pay a bit more, you can get them in time for Christmas.

f59c339a5d8d3c5b1aab24506229915a_original.jpg

There are stretch goals, too, of course. Dice bags, and a copper dice set. Find the Kickstarter here!

copper.jpg

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Dang, someone had 2k to spend on the highest reward level. As cool as it would be to have pure silver dice, I cannot imagine being in the financial situation it would require for me to be able to spend that much money just on a single set of 7 dice.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The faces of the dice seem to busy to me personally and the sharp lines on the edges won't roll well, or the ones I've bought that are similar don't tend to...drop them and they bounce once and skid to a halt.

Lucas Yew

Explorer
I just backed it up. While I wonder if I'll ever actually roll in on a game, it's still fulfilling my hobby of collecting nice dice. It looks even better than the Steampunk set which I've already acquired last year...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Dang, someone had 2k to spend on the highest reward level. As cool as it would be to have pure silver dice, I cannot imagine being in the financial situation it would require for me to be able to spend that much money just on a single set of 7 dice.

*Casts Summon Kevin Cook*

Lancelot

Adventurer
If the company was promoting these as an art object, I'd be all for it. But the kickstarter page is all about the quality for use on a gaming table. And in that respect, I'm skeptical on nearly every level.

1) ability to roll true (especially after extensive use), thanks to the irregular edges
2) ease of reading the numbers quickly and at distance (metal dice are already harder to read than standard two-tone plastic, and these look particularly bad)
3) safety in handling (or accidentally stepping on), especially with kids or pets in the house
4) ability to not damage tabletops when rolled

On that last factor, I'm particularly "amused" to note that they're touting the massive weight of the dice... and their irregular edges... as advantages over plastic dice. Uhh... no.

Now, if they were being promoted purely as an art object, it's a different matter. But in that case, I'd prefer to see something even more interesting. Replace the standard numerals with elven, dwarven or draconic runes. Use a blend of metals (inset numerals in gold plate), even at a higher cost. These just strike me as a halfway-house between table dice and artistic expression. Functionally inferior for the former purpose; lacking sufficient flair for the latter.

DM Howard

Explorer
Neat idea, but i don't think I could ever roll them at a game, full force, and be able to look whoever's house we are playing at in the eye as I destroy their table.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads